PDA

View Full Version : Sea Hare

OCDP
08-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Well I am not sure if I can post WHERE they have some for sale, so if it's okay for reefers to PM me and I can tell them, then do that. I don't want any trouble for posting in the thread haha.

Anyways, I picked one up on Monday for my tank (i have lots of various nuisance algaes) and it is now day 3 and I am so very impressed with this guy. He is literally making my tank look brand spankin new. I thought at first he would only touch hair algae, but no.. my sand bed has never looked so crisp and white. There is no more "floaties" as I like to call them, any type of hair-like algae he seems to go after.

Probably the best cleaner I have ever seen... and I am strongly recommending one to those with hair algae and other nuisance algae problems. These guys seem to do a very good job.

If I start running out of food for mine I will be putting it up as a loaner. I'll keep you posted.

Scott

doublette
08-04-2005, 09:00 PM
I love my sea hare! We've had it since last October. I agree that it sure keeps the tank looking clean. We used to have a problem with this red fuzzy algae (looked like red cotton candy) and "Sluggo" cleaned it all out. I've found that it will even eat the algae wafers so I drop a couple in for him every week or so.

DanG
08-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Aren't they like boxfish and can release toxins? How big do they get?

danny zubot
08-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Aren't they like boxfish and can release toxins? How big do they get?
I don't thinks so, but I could be mistaken. I had one that was a good 4 inches in my tank that died. Nothing happened to my fish and corals, and my reef crew finished it off before I could remove it's remains.

Chin_Lee
08-04-2005, 09:35 PM
I got mine about a month ago now and its has done a fabulous job making the tank look clean again. "Snotty" was pimped out by Willow to Hockey Nut who pimped it out to me. Snotty is a little "confused" at times not being able to find certain patches of hair algae but I'm sure eventually he will find them. I don't have any plans to pimp it out unless of course Willow or Hockey Nut would like to acquire the services of Snotty.

I do have a question if anybody knows the answer - Why are they always so big? Why can't the pet stores acquire them when they are at the 1-2 or 3" stages? Snotty is a healthy 5 inches when he is crusing around.

kari
08-04-2005, 11:00 PM
Found one local around 3". "Trevor" the sea hare is doing a great job cleaning up my frag tank as well.

The previous sea hare found the inlet of a power head. I didn't see any big changes in my tank during the incident so I wouldn't worry too much about toxic release.

Snappy
08-05-2005, 04:47 AM
I bought one a few weeks ago and yes I agree they are a great addition. Wai's in Calgary had one the other day that was 2-3 inches long and no they are not toxic.
I plan to make a documentary and call it....... under the sea world of "Jacques Custodian"

or perhaps (algae)--Hare Today- Gone Tomorrow.
Anyway my sea hare is the new star of my tank.
:biggrin: :mrgreen: :biggrin:

EmilyB
08-05-2005, 06:50 AM
"Trevor" the sea hare

:eek: :razz:

scotchy
08-05-2005, 06:53 AM
I loved my sea hare. He did an amazing job on the algae (cleaned the tank so I didn't have to) He was almost a year old when he died and I had no ill effects either. They really are cool even though all they do is eat and poop. :biggrin:

Scott

Snappy
08-05-2005, 10:07 PM
They really are cool even though all they do is eat and poop. :biggrin:

Scott
My grandson was like that for a few months but we kept him anyway :razz:

Saltysteve
08-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Now that is some funny stuff Greg LMAO!
I was thinking about my two boys myself :lol:

Mikey B
08-11-2005, 04:12 AM
We can't seem to keep one alive for more than a month or so.

Glad to hear they are not toxic, but I do know they can release an ink substance if really ****ed off.

Ruth
08-11-2005, 04:18 AM
Anyone know if there are any stores in Edmonton selling these?

meltdownaverted
08-11-2005, 05:40 AM
I've tried them three times and they have all disappeared within a week, with no ill effects. In my tank they probably overate themselves. Going to try one again soon, algea is coming back.

OCDP
08-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Well, I hope mine lives longer than a month ! Have you guys tried to supplement their diet? Anyone out there with feeding tips, advice .. that would be great.

I have been trying to feed mine some red marine algae, he tastes it, and eats a bit.. I think it's too hard for him to eat off a clip though , need to put it on a piece of rubble.

I dont see how a sea hare could starve though, there is algaes growing every day in our tank, on our rocks... maybe just not enough to keep them satisfied.

doublette
08-11-2005, 05:15 PM
When we used to have a PBT we would strap some Julian Sprung's Green Seaweed to a small piece of rock with elastics. When Sluggo (the sea hare) would come out of hiding he/she would always clean off the feeding rock of any traces the tang missed. Perhaps you could try that as well if needed.

Ruth: We picked ours up at AI. They seem to bring them in often.

OCDP
08-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'll try some regular Big Al's seaweed I have.. maybe he'll be interested. I will also elastasize (sp?) the seaweed to some live rock rubble.

:smile: