PDA

View Full Version : Any Mantis' at Edmonton LFSs?

Fish
08-04-2005, 04:57 AM
Hello all,

As I have scoured the local stores and online venders, it just occured to me that I should have checked with my brothers and sisters in our Edmonton chapter first. So how about it, have any of you seen a mantis shrimp in a petstore in Edmonton? Or do you know where to look?
To make things more difficult, I am looking for a small smasher.
Unfortunately, LFSs here only seem to get peacock mantis' and that wouldn't work for me.
Thank you in advance.

Sleepless in Okotoks,

- Chad

bulletsworld
08-11-2005, 10:45 PM
hey whats wrong with a peacock mantis? Omg! I would love to find one of those. Where do you see them for sale?

I dont think I have ever seen one for sale in Edmonton. Has anyone ever seen them for sale here?

:lol: I loved your, "Sleepless in Okotoks" :lol: :lol:

muck
08-11-2005, 10:50 PM
hey whats wrong with a peacock mantis?

It would get too big for his 2gal cube. :mrgreen:

bulletsworld
08-11-2005, 10:51 PM
awww...you do have a point there. :eek:

Fish
08-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Haha thanks Lee!

I have talked to the LFS's here and they all tell me that they can order mantises (sp?) in pretty easy. For some reason though, pet stores always seem to get peacocks. Big Als told me that they can get them no questions asked - but they are only able to check "mantis shrimp" and don't have any control over what kind comes in - and in recent history, they have only once gotten a mantis that wasn't a peacock and it was BIGGER than the peacocks! (7 inches :eek: )
Besides the size thing, a peacock is a spearer so they like to burrow into the sand and I don't have near enough substrate in my tank to accomidate one.
The real irony is that the type of mantis that I am looking for is more common and tons of people get them as hitchhikers :evil: . Maybe I should just start buying large quantities of quality live rock... kind of like lottery tickets, one's bound to pay off :razz: .

Sorry for the longish post,

- Chad