PDA

View Full Version : online ordering

michika
08-03-2005, 07:11 PM
I need some more suggestions on where online I can place orders for both drygoods and livestock. I'm no longer shopping locally anymore, unless its through members of the board.

Suggestions please? Include any experiences you've had good and bad.

bluetang
08-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Canada
Ocean Aquatics
JL's

US
Marine Depot
Premium Aquatics
Custom Aquatics

I have dealt with the US companys with no problems. The canadian ones, I just walk in :biggrin:

Winters
08-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Of course, with US companies you will most likely have to pay customs charges to get the drygoods across the border. Plus with livegoods you would need to have a customs license or appropriate forms filled out as well.

J&L and OceanAquatics are quite good! There's also Aquaria.ca in Ontario, and Saltwater Connection in Winnipeg.

michika
08-03-2005, 07:29 PM
Any experience ordering from any of them?

I have ordered from Aquaria Canada with very disapointing results; the guy ripped me off and to this date has STILL refused to refund my money.

muck
08-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Ive had great results from James at OA for livegoods.
Very happy with the service. (and the extra freebies.. :mrgreen: )

I have also had great service from JLs for Drygoods.
Very quick shipping.

bluetang
08-03-2005, 07:42 PM
GO WEST...

michika
08-03-2005, 07:43 PM
thanks guys!

I think I'm going to try and place a "test order" with J&L or OA in the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to find a regular supplier for alot of my basics.

mr_alberta
08-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Depending on what you are looking for, there are a lot of nice places.

Check out:

Extreme Marine
Reef Raft
Aquarium Pros
MOPS
Reef Solutions
Create A Reef
Reef Perfection

Just to name a few... :mrgreen:

OceanAquatics
08-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Everyone seems to forget.
We also do drygoods as well as livestock.

If you are interested there is a group order on August 8th and again in mid September for Edmonton

muck
08-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Everyone seems to forget.
We also do drygoods as well as livestock.
I didn't forget James...
I was just commenting on my personel experiences. :cool:

Matt
08-04-2005, 09:04 PM
I'm no longer shopping locally anymore, unless its through members of the board.Why not? Is it just price, or are there issues that the community should be aware of?

fishguyxd
08-04-2005, 09:52 PM
ya James at ocean did great customer service and I had good livestock as well

michika
08-06-2005, 04:19 AM
I don't like many of the practices going on through many of our local stores. As much as I am for supporting local business and the local economy I don't feel as if my business is appreciated as of late, or do I feel that my dollars are being used ethically within the stores I used to shop from.

There is more but it isn't something to be discussed openly on the board as it is doubful that it effects anyone else.

In short, I refuse to support the high prices, the bad service, inappropriate care of animals. I have standards and local businesses are no longer meeting those standards in a way that makes me as a consummer feel appreciated or that my business matters to them.

Dabbler
08-06-2005, 05:13 AM
What makes you believe the " Online retailers" are any better?

........but to each there own :confused:

michika
08-06-2005, 05:17 AM
Nothing, but they do offer a change of the proverbial scenery, as well as they offer a chance to try out different vendors. There is more market place freedom for the consummer, more to choose from.

Better or not I still want to try and look around for a company that will treat me better then the local ones, and if they don't treat me better, hopefully some of them will in the very least off better prices.

michika
08-06-2005, 03:56 PM
any particular experiences to share Dabbler? Here or in PM

TRS
08-07-2005, 12:34 AM
michika,

I will suggest Ocean Aquatics. These guys have great prices and awesome service too. They are way better than my LFS here....Oh, there are no saltwater LFS here. :mad: Our next order from Ocean Aquatics is due to be delivered to Edmonton on August 8.

The last time I was at a particular Edmonton saltwater LFS, the live rock tank was loaded with flatworms. Surprisingly enough, they were out of Flatworm Exit. Imagine that!!! :rolleyes:

michika
08-07-2005, 12:41 AM
Haha, thats so funny....