PDA

View Full Version : Retro fit DIY + PC Hood

Saltysteve
08-02-2005, 07:00 AM
Just thinking, I have a 48 inch Coralife Aqualight, 4x65 Watt PC hood with two little fans.. Could a guy just mount 2-250 watt mogul based MH lamps in there and switch all 4 65 Watt PC's to Actinic? Might be a bit tight , MH to PC lamp will be zero clearance and I'm not sure about the PC reflector. Any input Other than larger fans :cool:

Thanks!

reeferaddict
08-02-2005, 07:43 AM
Hmm.. I have the same fixture but it's the lunar aqualight... I would have a look at their Aqualight Pro... which I also have one of... but it's only 150W hqi... I really don't know how you would safely mount MH bulbs on that fixture and you'd definitely have to be doing a fan upgrade. I just finished building a hood for my 135 - I bought 2 of those Coralife 2 x 96W retrofit kits and mounted and wired them onto some parabolic mirrored reflecty stuff I scrounged out of some old flourescent fixtures. A little creative cutting, bending and riveting, and I have a sweet hood that also includes 2 - 250W 10,000K XM Moguls... all that light is a sight to be held... with the monster fans I put on each end I'm even thinking of going to 400's hehe... sorry to stray... my point is here just having done a retrofit myself and knowing what you have to do, along with also owning one of those fixtures and that crap plastic leg support system, I wouldn't recommend doing this... even the fixture itself I think would be too flimsy, and remember you want to keep your MH bulbs at least 6 if not 8 inches off the water... just my uhm two... well OK 6 bits then! :mrgreen:

Saltysteve
08-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the input. I was thinking of hanging it from the ceiling etc. A good friend has the Pro, I love it but my wife is telling me to sell the chrome off my bike for it LOL, NOT.