PDA

View Full Version : I'm going BB (question)

Saltysteve
08-01-2005, 04:50 AM
I have decided to go bare bottom, the amount of debris that I keep clouding my tank with my Turkey Baster is just too much. I am in a really good position right now to do it so that makes it a lot easier! I am moving :lol:
I do have 2 or 3 rocks with a fair amount of hair algae; what is the best way to rid them of it?
Cook/boil/bake
fresh water dip and stiff brush
salt water and stiff brush

Thanks in advance!
Also, if anyone knows where to get a larger piece of the "cutting board" material, can you tell me? Wal-Mart wants 7 bucks for a 12x18 piece

:confused:

Aquattro
08-01-2005, 05:05 AM
once your nutrients go down, the hair algae should vanish on it's own. Also, I just put my rock on the glass.

dirtyreefer
08-01-2005, 05:41 AM
I have decided to go bare bottom, the amount of debris that I keep clouding my tank with my Turkey Baster is just too much. I am in a really good position right now to do it so that makes it a lot easier! I am moving :lol:
I do have 2 or 3 rocks with a fair amount of hair algae; what is the best way to rid them of it?
Cook/boil/bake
fresh water dip and stiff brush
salt water and stiff brush

Thanks in advance!
Also, if anyone knows where to get a larger piece of the "cutting board" material, can you tell me? Wal-Mart wants 7 bucks for a 12x18 piece

:confused:

I would cook the rock, but I don't think that you are thinking of the same thing I am thinking. Look up cooking rock on ReefCentral, you'll find that this is an effective way of ridding algae from your rockwork.

Saltysteve
08-01-2005, 07:42 AM
Cooking the rock seems like a very long drawn out process ?
If I boil it won't it all die overnight? Back in the next evening :lol:

LostMind
08-01-2005, 03:57 PM
if you boiled it, you'd have nothing left alive on the rock, plus all the critters carcasses would still be inside the rock and would probably decompose, sending your tank into a cycle.

Or so my brain says, maybe someome else has another opinion.

StirCrazy
08-01-2005, 05:18 PM
I would cook the rock, but I don't think that you are thinking of the same thing I am thinking. Look up cooking rock on ReefCentral, you'll find that this is an effective way of ridding algae from your rockwork.

Not everyone has 6months to a year or the space to do this. it is effective but think of this, if you rid your rock of excess nutrents by cooking and then put it back on a nutrent sink how long do you think it will take to come back?

Steve

EmilyB
08-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Remove as much manually as you can and reduce the nutrients in the water. It WILL go away on its own like Brad said if there is nothing there to fuel it.

Just like the hair algae rock I delivered to Muck. He put it in his tank, and the hair algae just kinda went sick and melted away. :mrgreen:

dirtyreefer
08-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Not everyone has 6months to a year or the space to do this. it is effective but think of this, if you rid your rock of excess nutrents by cooking and then put it back on a nutrent sink how long do you think it will take to come back?

Steve

Cooking rock does not take 6-12 months. And he is only concerned about 2-3 rocks, not the whole shabang.

StirCrazy
08-01-2005, 10:22 PM

Steve

Cooking rock does not take 6-12 months. And he is only concerned about 2-3 rocks, not the whole shabang.

Hmm the article I read on it said to be prepared to take up to 6 months to a year depending on the size of rocks and such.

now if you are only worried about 2 or 3 rocks I would cook them on the stove top (boil them for a hour or two) then recure them in a pail.

Steve

dirtyreefer
08-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Dude, read up on the threads on RC, SeanT is the rock chef:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=622878

6-8 weeks is what I gathered. 6-12 months would be ridiculous! :lol:

dirtyreefer
08-01-2005, 11:19 PM
now if you are only worried about 2 or 3 rocks I would cook them on the stove top (boil them for a hour or two) then recure them in a pail.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes :rolleyes:

Aquattro
08-02-2005, 02:16 AM
Get rid of what feeds the algae and be done with it, no cooking required. :rolleyes:

StirCrazy
08-02-2005, 02:27 AM

um I have and it works good :rolleyes: :mrgreen: If I had the time I would have done that to my whole lot of rock when I took the sand out.

Steve

Saltysteve
08-02-2005, 02:52 AM
Maybe I should just dip all the rock in a fresh batch, get rid of the sediment from the Turkey Baster rounds and start the new aquascaping with the GHA covered LR on the bottom :redface:

mr_alberta
08-02-2005, 02:56 AM
Just use a stiff brush and some old tank water to scrub it off. Then dunk and swish the rocks in another bucket of salt water to get some of the crud on the rocks off. You'll be surprised how much stuff comes off of the rocks.

dirtyreefer
08-02-2005, 02:59 AM

um I have and it works good :rolleyes: :mrgreen: If I had the time I would have done that to my whole lot of rock when I took the sand out.

Steve

Good stuff! :rolleyes:

Aquattro
08-02-2005, 03:25 AM
what's with all th erolling eyes in this thread??? :rolleyes:

Saltysteve
08-02-2005, 03:56 AM
Giving me a complex :confused: :rolleyes:

dirtyreefer
08-02-2005, 04:22 AM
All I did was make a suggestion and got shot down all over the place :rolleyes:

Whateva

Aquattro
08-02-2005, 05:08 AM
All I did was make a suggestion and got shot down all over the place

All over the place? C'mon, it was only Stircrazy giving you grief, you gotta watch for him doing that! :razz:

dirtyreefer
08-02-2005, 05:17 AM
All I did was make a suggestion and got shot down all over the place

All over the place? C'mon, it was only Stircrazy giving you grief, you gotta watch for him doing that! :razz:

Hence the :rolleyes:

muck
08-02-2005, 05:20 AM
Just like the hair algae rock I delivered to Muck. He put it in his tank, and the hair algae just kinda went sick and melted away. :mrgreen:

And low and behold there were zoos under there... Who Knew..?? :razz: :razz:

EDIT

oops... forgot the :rolleyes:

Aquattro
08-02-2005, 05:30 AM
EDIT

oops... forgot the :rolleyes:

yup, those are an obligate feature for this thread!! :razz:

:rolleyes:

EmilyB
08-02-2005, 06:04 AM

Saltysteve
08-11-2005, 05:25 AM
Well, I went for it. I picked off some of the large clusters and dipped the rock in a fresh batch of 1.023 and hit them with a power head. Not a lot left to come off LOL
Tonight is the first night running BB and I like it! I have two MJ 1200 's pushing everything along the bottom and I hope to pick up the skimmer soon.

http://rcpilot.users.sunwave.net/bb_day_one.jpg

Saltysteve
08-11-2005, 05:26 AM
Woops, I forgot

Aquattro
08-11-2005, 05:36 AM
Woops, I forgot

hahaa

tank looks good!!

Saltysteve
08-11-2005, 07:27 AM
Thanks Brad,
Not near as green as it was LOL
Can't wait for it to mature now! :biggrin:
Next up, MH

mr_alberta
08-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Looks good! I hope you pick up that skimmer soon though as that is an integral part of the high flow BB system.