PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Live Rock....

Justin_18
07-31-2005, 12:48 AM
So I'm going to be ripping apart my tank sometime soon because I no longer like the aquascaping and some powerheads are giving me troubles. I'm planning on breaking some of the larger pieces of live rock to make aquascaping easier. I'm wondering if breaking the rock will cause some die off, leading to a cycle, because if it will I might just leave them.

My tank is a 90 G reef with sps, softies, lps and about 10 fish. In case anyone was wondering. :lol:

thanks in advance

Justin

Scavenger
07-31-2005, 01:55 AM
I've never done this myself on the scale you prepose. However, if I was doing this,I would do the following.

Do a water change and save the waste water. At that point pull out the rocks you wish to break and do so. Place them into the removed water with full filtration and flow. If after a period of time you have no spikes in nutrients, then place rocks as you wish in your tank. It would be hard to tell (for me anyway) if you would have to re cure your rocks or not, so this seems to be the safest route to me.

Justin_18
07-31-2005, 02:06 AM
that sounds like a good idea. thanks.

Beverly
07-31-2005, 02:12 AM
Justin,

I don't see what would die off by breaking apart a few large rocks. What are you thinking might die off?

Scavenger
07-31-2005, 02:19 AM
I just suggest this cautious approach because I've had die off and nutrient spikes just from inverting a rock in a 20g once. You just never know. Like Mom always said, "Better safe, than sorry."

StirCrazy
07-31-2005, 02:23 AM
take the rock out and hit it with a hammer and chisel. when you have the size you need rinse it in some water and put it back in the tank. unless you let it dry out pretty good there won't be any die off that will matter.

Steve

Justin_18
07-31-2005, 02:25 AM
Beverly, I thought some of the bacteria inside the rock might die from stress or the new light exposure so i just thought I'ld check with the brilliant people on this website. :biggrin:

P.S. I'm moving up to Edmonton in September, I might jsut have to drop by and see your setup. :lol:

Justin_18
07-31-2005, 02:27 AM
Thanks Steve. That's what I was planning on doing. Just thought I should check to make sure it wouldn't start a cycle.

megatron_55
07-31-2005, 04:58 AM
I'm wondering if breaking the rock will cause some die off, leading to a cycle, because if it will I might just leave them.
Justin

I've broken many pieces of LR to satisfy my eyes with the rock formation (I've done it atleast 2 times)

I have a 27 Gal tank with about 30-33 lbs of live rock and I aquascaped the rocks to my likings (i.e) broken down LR to smaller pieces and even some carving them to a shape to fit in the corners where my powerheads were . . .

No loss on my part . . . just took alot of time . . . JME

My tank is a 27 Gal mixed reef

Beverly
07-31-2005, 01:33 PM
P.S. I'm moving up to Edmonton in September, I might jsut have to drop by and see your setup. :lol:

Justin,

You'd be welcome to visit :cool: And you'll have a choice of three tanks to view :biggrin: