PDA

View Full Version : Strombus fasciatus

Samw
07-29-2005, 05:52 AM
Strombus fasciatus

http://www.jlaquatics.com/images/custodian/conch-zebra.jpg

Does anyone have any info on these conchs? I can't find any info on them. Do they get as big as Queen conchs? Are they easy to keep?

Delphinus
07-29-2005, 03:55 PM
I think I might have a zebra conch in one of my tanks, I'm not sure I'll have to take a closer look at it, but IIRC that's what it was sold to me as. Anyhow, if what I have is indeed that, it's tiny, it's the smallest conch I have. In about 6 months it is still only about 1"-1.5".

As far as conchs being easy to keep, I guess it's really a matter of whether you have enough sandbed and enough of what they eat in that sand. Otherwise it's probably similar to any other kind of snail. They're just kind of "there" in the tank.

danny zubot
07-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Tony, how many conches do you keep? I'd like to get one more in my 65 gallon, but was told that 1 was enough. He seems to only do half a tank at a time. If I do get another one, should I get the same kind (fighting) or a different kind?

Sam, a friend of mine has a zebra, and it is very similar to my fighting conch. Very good reef janitor, fun to watch (when your bored) and keeps the sand bed nice and white.

megatron_55
07-30-2005, 07:28 AM
I have 3 of these in my tanks (well similar) I think its called fighting conch . . . Is that the same?? I've had mine for two years and they're still small . . .

Samw
07-30-2005, 07:29 AM
Thanks all. I will buy 1 and give it a try.