PDA

View Full Version : How to mount MH Pendant

impreza
07-29-2005, 01:37 AM
I just bought a MH pendant and I am trying to think of how I can mount it without hanging it from the ceiling. All I can think of is buying a floor lamp from Ikea and modifying it to hold up my pendant. I was thinking of something along the lines of this:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=3&productId=18567&langId=-15&parentCats=10111*10270

Any other ideas/suggestions? Kind of seems ridiculous to spend $50+ to mount my pendant, lol.

Thanks,
Jonathan

OCDP
07-29-2005, 01:39 AM
I would be very curious to the answer to this.. if not this fixture, then maybe another type? this would be perfect for me as well , my dad doesn't want holes in his ceiling.... :rolleyes:

impreza
07-29-2005, 01:42 AM
I would be very curious to the answer to this.. if not this fixture, then maybe another type? this would be perfect for me as well , my dad doesn't want holes in his ceiling.... :rolleyes:

Exactly, I really don't want holes in my ceiling either. Mounting in my canopy is not an option since my canopy won't allow enough room between the MH and the water level. There would be some serious heat issues as well!

OCDP
07-29-2005, 02:04 AM
Yeah... we're on a mission to find a simple solution to a stupid problem really... we should be able to figure something out, even if it's some kind of DIY .. there has to be something simple out there.

snaggle
07-29-2005, 02:19 AM
What about making a light hanger that you can have the lights hang off of, coming from the back of you stand.

Brad

OCDP
07-29-2005, 02:28 AM
That might be a problem for me .. I don't have much room in the back of the tank to the wall.. maybe a couple inches or so. Would a 2x4 pole work lol.... oh man

Saltysteve
07-29-2005, 02:35 AM
I would use white PVC piping myself :cool: You can make it sit on the floor inde"pendant"ly LOL or you could attach it to the sides of the stand. Done properly it could be quite attractive! Two short pieces of chain could suspend it from the top pipe! Need more strength, insert wood dowel!

snaggle
07-29-2005, 02:36 AM
If it is just the light and the ballast is on the ground then you can use 1x4, just sand them down and paint them, use a kitchen and bath paint it stands up well to salt water. I painted my stand with that paint and it had a leak in one of canister filter it had water sit for two days and very little water damage to the MDF stand I built.

Brad

adidas
07-29-2005, 03:41 AM
heres my ghetto stand

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/adidas28/163ee2d1.jpg

impreza
07-29-2005, 05:24 AM
Adidas, I am kind of leaning towards something like what you have. I see the PVC up top, but what is the actual stand part (the black part). Is it an old light stand?

impreza
07-29-2005, 06:48 AM
Someone on ReefCentral suggested a lantern holder, that may be another option.

Quinster
07-29-2005, 11:26 AM
this was my old PVC light rack before I built my canopy...thought it might give some ideas...ran all the wiring inside the piping for a cleaner look...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Quinster/C-10.jpg

adidas
07-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Adidas, I am kind of leaning towards something like what you have. I see the PVC up top, but what is the actual stand part (the black part). Is it an old light stand?

the black part is actually a speaker stand.

impreza
07-29-2005, 07:18 PM
this was my old PVC light rack before I built my canopy...thought it might give some ideas...ran all the wiring inside the piping for a cleaner look...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Quinster/C-10.jpg

I think I am leaning towards soemthing like this. Any other pics of the side? How did you anchor it so it doesn't tip?

OCDP
07-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Yeah if you wouldn't mind posting some specifics on the PVC idea... it looks neat (as in clean..) but I am questioning the sturdiness as well... and also I'd need to go buy a pendant to do it that way haha

Quinster
07-29-2005, 07:59 PM
I was using 2 Hagan 6' light strips front and back of the tank to run actinics, then I built legs (T in the middle with both sides extending front to back between the Hagan striplights) then the same idea in the middle of the tank on top of the brace...never had stability problems with it.