PDA

View Full Version : Corner Tank Repair

Cap'n
07-28-2005, 03:02 AM
I have a corner tank with a broken bottom. It measures 3ft on the long side and 2ft on the short, 1/2" glass. Anybody know who could fix it and approx how much it would cost?

Delphinus
07-28-2005, 04:20 AM
I'd take it to Bow Valley and see what they say. I know they do repairs, saw a bunch of tanks getting resealed or new panels or etc. when my new tank was being assembled.

If you're crafty you can do it yourself too, I've replaced a bottom panel on a 20g (twice ... stupid clumsy nitwit bept breaking it :rolleyes: )

Cap'n
07-29-2005, 04:34 AM
I have been considering doing it myself, but I've never really worked with glass before. Everytime I read of someone repairing a tank said it was a real pain. Not sure if I want to add that time and frustration to The Reno List.

Going through the process just now in my head, would the fact that it is the bottom piece make it easier?

vertex
07-29-2005, 05:36 AM
Hey Tim, I doubt the bottom makes it any easier unless you plan to keep the rest intack, remove the bottom glass to clean it all and then just reseal it back in place. I've done a couple of repairs myself but only for cracks that I have patched with another overlay layer of plexiglass. I have not had to dismantle any of the tanks to patch them so they were very easy.

I guess it depends on how you are going to fix it? New glass or just a patch over a crack??

Cap'n
07-30-2005, 02:52 AM
I can't just patch it. The cracks go all the way to the edge of the glass in few places.

But, if I cut the silicon all the way around the bottom, I should be able to lift the rest of the tank off intact, clean it all up and replace with new glass and seal. Sounds easy, doesn't it? Think I might try it.

Buccaneer
07-30-2005, 03:43 AM
Are the sides sitting on top of the bottom glass ?

or

are they siliconed to the " side " of the bottom glass ?

Cap'n
07-30-2005, 11:02 PM
Sitting on top. That's the only reason I am considering doing it myself.

I am also building the stand myself. So, what if I repair the tank, then place it into it's base on the stand, (something with a raised lip) and silicone it into place there as well. Wouldn't that remove any chance of a leak plus increase the overall strength?

Should we move this to the DIY forum now?

christyf5
07-30-2005, 11:43 PM
Should we move this to the DIY forum now?

It might get more DIYers seeing it in there :biggrin:

moved to DIY forum

Cap'n
08-01-2005, 03:01 AM
OK DIY'ers, do I go to any glass shop to get 1/2" pentagon shaped glass cut for the new base? or is there a place you recommend?

Skimmerking
08-01-2005, 06:16 PM
glass is really easy to work with . how about getting a picture of the crack then we can give some input.

mike :mrgreen:

Cap'n
08-02-2005, 02:21 AM
The bottom is spider-webbed. There is no way to repair but remove what's left and replace with new. Tomorrow I'm going to call some glass shops and see what they could do at work as well.