PDA

View Full Version : Overflow sizing

mark
07-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Probably the first of many questions.

The new house is coming along quicker than I thought so got to firm up a few things for the tank (still to order).

Tank will be about 130 gal room divider with basement sump. Planning a drilled overflow for the sump and a closed loop. Thinking a 2" for drain, 1" for return but wondering if there is a max size of pipe?

Main concern is noise.

Invigor
07-26-2005, 06:42 PM
from having just drilled my 105 gallon tank to handle around 3000gph thru a 2" overflow...go with 2 overflows, even with a durso the sound of the water crashing thru a 2" pipe is quite noticeable. I was debating between 1 2" hole or 2 1.5" holes, and went with the single 2" because I'm cheap. And as the case in most situations, you get what you pay for...and I didn't get quiet out of the deal.

so depending on the flow you're looking at running thru the overflow, I would recommend 2 smaller overflows over 1 large one.

another thing I noticed that helps quite a bit is for the drains, make sure the pipes aren't perfectly horizontal or vertical if you can help it. a straight drop makes for quite the crashing noise.

mark
07-27-2005, 04:28 AM
Thanks Invigor.

Should I run the separate 1.5's" all the way back into the sump or tee them into a single 2" say below the floor then down to the sump?

Invigor
07-27-2005, 11:48 PM
*shrug* either way should work provided the joining doesn't create an unncessesary restriction. If I were to have done mine, I would have kept the pipes separate, but that's just me.

the fittings to join the 2 pipes and another 2" pipe will probably cost just the same as buying 2 1.5" pipes.

mark
08-12-2005, 04:54 PM
An update on this. Posted a query to Calfo about closed loops and sort of got an answer. Eitherway he's suggesting at least 2 - 2" drains.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=646840

Invigor
08-12-2005, 06:27 PM
holy crap!

I've got a friend that has 2-2" drains on his 360gal reef, he's got about 6000gph going thru it.

I think reef_raf has a 70gal with the same amount of flow..although he's got a barebottom and _i think_ uses powerheads to achieve higher flow.

rickjames
08-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Also be aware of some issues with draining right to the basement. I have the same setup with my 150G, am running a single overflow with 1.5" drain and 750 G/hr return. Even with the durso it is quite noisy due to the shear drop (even though there are two 90 degree angles in the drain pipe). I have to keep the top cap off the durso otherwise the water creates a siphon and drains to the bottom of the durso opening , like a toilet flushing (and sounds the same)!

Case in point, I would go with a single 2" drain and overflow and minimize the amount of flow going to the sump. It just isn't needed. Instead I use a Tunze 6100 powerhead to add water movement in the tank, with plans to add a TS/25 kit for a total of almost 10000 G/hr flow! :eek:

rickjames
08-12-2005, 06:43 PM
holy crap!

I've got a friend that has 2-2" drains on his 360gal reef, he's got about 6000gph going thru it.

I think reef_raf has a 70gal with the same amount of flow..although he's got a barebottom and _i think_ uses powerheads to achieve higher flow.'

Yup, he uses Tunzes as well. Maybe he can comment on the flow through isn't sump, I don't think it is much....

Invigor
08-13-2005, 04:30 AM
I have to keep the top cap off the durso otherwise the water creates a siphon and drains to the bottom of the durso opening , like a toilet flushing (and sounds the same)!

have you drilled a hole in the cap? if so, make it bigger in small incriments until it's juuuuuuuuuust right. :)

rickjames
08-14-2005, 01:49 AM
I have to keep the top cap off the durso otherwise the water creates a siphon and drains to the bottom of the durso opening , like a toilet flushing (and sounds the same)!

have you drilled a hole in the cap? if so, make it bigger in small incriments until it's juuuuuuuuuust right. :)

Yeah there is a hole in the cap, the incremental thing is a good idea, just to darned lazy... :redface:

Invigor
08-14-2005, 02:01 AM

Yeah there is a hole in the cap, the incremental thing is a good idea, just to darned lazy... :redface:

ahh, don't worry, it gets the best of us.