PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Crab releasing larvae

Samw
08-16-2002, 02:47 AM
My emerald crabs are always mating. Last night, I caught on camera, one of the females releasing her larvae. By the time I caught it on video, it was probably near the end. I earlier saw the release of about 6 or so larvae every few seconds. In the video, you can see maybe 2 or 3 being released every few seconds. Unfortunately, my compact camera doesn't have the best Macro capability so you'll just see tiny little white dots floating away from the crab. Its amazing what we see at night. I regularly see cleaner shrimp and hermit crab larvae after the lights go out.

Emerald Crab Releases Larvae (7.4 Mbytes) (http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/2002-08.Album/117-1745_MVI.avi)

[ 16 August 2002, 11:22: Message edited by: Sam W ]

christyf5
08-16-2002, 02:06 PM
Is there a secret to getting these things to work? My windows media player opens and then plays the wavy psychodelic screen saver thing. Any suggestions?

Christy smile.gif

Samw
08-16-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by christyf5:
Is there a secret to getting these things to work? My windows media player opens and then plays the wavy psychodelic screen saver thing. Any suggestions?

Christy smile.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hm, good question. I haven't figured out why Windows Media can't play these AVI's. I'll let you know if I figure it out. However, if you still want to watch the videos, you can download the free versions of Real Audio or Apple Quicktime and make them associate .AVI files so that next time you download a .AVI file, it will run Real Audio or Quicktime instead of Media Player.

I'll also go and rename my file to lowercase ".avi" and see if it helps anything.

Samw
08-16-2002, 05:42 PM
According to the Canon website, you'll need Quicktime to view my videos. Media Player and Real Player will only work if the M-JPEG codec is installed on your machine. Hope that helps.

http://www.expressresponse.com/cgi-bin/progsnp/canon_ps/srchjnnp?search_type=vdocument&search_input=0150.htm&session_id=1029529461.26870.7&search_erproduct=Powershot%5fS40

clintyiu
08-17-2002, 05:18 AM
I can play the video either and it tells me it can find the resource files. And my media player can play avi without any problems...

BTW Media player will play avi's but you probably don't have the right codec. Go to www.divx.com (http://www.divx.com) and download the latest player. When you install do not install the player but install the codecs. You should be able to see avi's even through windows media player. If not then install the Divx player and make it your default video player.

Aquattro
08-17-2002, 12:01 PM
hmmm, plays fine in my Media Player.....

Troy F
08-17-2002, 12:56 PM
It played for me, interesting vid Sam, thanks for sharing.

Mak
08-17-2002, 09:32 PM
Just download the lastest version of Windows media player ( its supports div-x, .avi, MPEG-4 and such ), if you don't want to mess around with installing the Div-X or .avi.