PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Grandpa!!!!

canadawest
11-19-2001, 09:25 PM
Grab your cigars, cause one of my children just had babies!

I've got baby Bangaii Cardinals!!!

I'm not sure if the father started releasing them just today, or last night, but it actually took me by surprise. I came home from work today and spotted three hiding among the corals in the tank! Woohoo! images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

So I've managed to catch the free swimming ones (3) and transfer them to the little 12 gallon Eclipse tank in my living room. That way they are free from predators and nasty powerheads.

The father is still holding at least three more, but catching him is next to impossible, so I'll just wait for him to release the rest and try to catch those too before they become fish food.

Wish me luck!

Reefmaster
11-19-2001, 09:34 PM
way cool andrew. maybe one day a couple of em can for an extenda-holiday on the island... shane

SuperFudge
11-19-2001, 10:02 PM
Congrats Andrew!

Any chance of seein a pic of the lil runts??

Im kinda new with the bangaii thing,but one of mine has for the last two days came running for the food at feeding time,but does not feed....his/her jowels(or mouth and gill area)are also huge.

Could it be?

Marc.

[ 19 November 2001: Message edited by: Fudge ]

smokinreefer
11-19-2001, 10:15 PM
thats cool! i am jealous...i want a pair of bangaiis now too!! images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

[ 19 November 2001: Message edited by: smokinreefer ]

smokinreefer
11-23-2001, 12:29 PM
so update us andrew...how are the babies doin?

Troy F
11-23-2001, 05:30 PM
What are you feeding them Andrew? When my tank is up and running I'm going to be knocking on your door with fish baggy in hand so figure out how to raise them to adulthood images/smiles/icon_wink.gif .

canadawest
11-23-2001, 06:07 PM
Well I only managed to rescue 3 from the main tank, and they are happily growing in my little Eclipse 12 gallon tank.

I am hatching live baby brine shrimp, enriching them with Selcon, and feeding that to the babies two or three times a day. They feed like crazy.

I've tried smashed up flake, but they don't seem too interested in it yet, if ever. (The adults rarely touch the stuff)

Anyways, things are coming along great so far during the first week, and I'll likely get some photos up in the next day or two.

canadawest
11-25-2001, 12:42 AM
Ok you can all see photos of the cute little guys on my website now!

Just go to the fish page and click on the link from there.

Shadetree
11-25-2001, 09:49 AM
Looking good Andrew. I see you are already on the fish breeding forum at RC. If you still want some ricordia or green star polyps let me know.

Scott