PDA

View Full Version : Starphire, 30" tank

Majestic_Aquariums
07-23-2005, 10:15 PM
I will be ordering a 30" tank in August, but am now faced with the fact starphire glass only comes as 1/2". The tank size is 84" X 30" X 30" and am told it has to be 5/8". The only question I would have is would full eurobracing allow the tank to be made of 1/2"

I didn't bother getting eurobracing quoted, as the glass in the miiddle isn't a huge concern. The rockwork (and eventually corals) will be on either side of the top glass.

I checked into an acrylic, Tenecor wants 4K for a tank that size, and there aren't any wholesalers around. Besides, I don't know how much open space on the top a tank like that in acrylic would have either-and scratches easy (er)

The 30" tank I already have is reg. glass and doesn't look too bad w/MH on it. Is the difference to starphire worth it anyway?

If anyone has any input, that would be great, I don't want to regret a purchase like this later, thinking "I wish..."

Thanks
Rob

StirCrazy
07-23-2005, 11:22 PM
no matter what kinda glass you use at 30" 5/8th is the min I would go and I would be tempted to go to 3/4 even, I see your problem as star-fire only comes up to 1/2" but I don't think the risk is worth it. maybe if you go to a laminated star-fire you can go brace-less.

there is a difference in the look of star-fire against regular glass and the thicker the glass the more the difference, but I think on a tank like we use (bluish lighting) that it is a mute point as out lighting seams to cancel out the green tint. If I was doing a fresh water that size with only day light lighting then yes I would go star-fire to remove the green tint.

Steve

Gools
07-24-2005, 03:18 AM
On the site here, "Emp" has a 300 gal, saphire tank, and he told me all the glass is 5/8. I might have heard him wrong but I'm pretty sure. Drop him a line
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=553475&perpage=25&pagenumber=7

Look 3/4 down the page

Majestic_Aquariums
07-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the link! I guess maybe you can get 5/8" starphire glass then? :biggrin:

StirCrazy
07-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the link! I guess maybe you can get 5/8" starphire glass then? :biggrin:

ya you always have been able to, as well as 3/4 and 1", for 5/8th they lamanate 3/8 and 1/4 togeather, for 3/4 they lamanate 1/2" and 1/4" togeather and for 1" they lamanate two 1/2" sheets togeather. but it is mucho expensive as you pay for two chunks of glass pluss the lamanation process. now that was as of abou 8 months ago, maybe now they can get larger than 1/2" but I wouldn't bet on it.

Steve

Majestic_Aquariums
07-24-2005, 10:58 PM
Hmmm. I was afraid of that $$$

I have a feeling I will be settling for reg. glass-

It would be nice to have starphire, but I can get used to the greener look too I guess.
Thanks for your help!
Rob

Gools
07-24-2005, 11:17 PM
Again you sould ask Emp, but his 300g tank cost him around $2300, to have it built in his house, with both side starphire 8x30x30 I believe. Seems like a good price to me, and especially, having it built in your home.

Majestic_Aquariums
07-25-2005, 12:39 AM
You are right, $2300 is a good price for sure. Are you by chance certain on the dimensions? Not a really big deal, but that seems like a 375 to me, which would be even better! :biggrin:

I will pm. him. Just not sure if they will come out to Blackfalds for that kind of money!

Thanks
Rob

Gools
07-25-2005, 02:52 AM
Sorry, after checking it was 96x24x30

Majestic_Aquariums
07-25-2005, 02:57 AM
24" high, or 24" deep? That's the prob. for me, anything over 24" high needs min. 5/8"

Anyway, I pm.ed him, hafta wait and see.

Thanks for your help, too!

Rob