PDA

View Full Version : LF: Sea hare (Slug)

Mykiss
07-22-2005, 02:16 AM
I've got a bunch of green hair-type algae and I've been told that the best thing to get rid of it is with a sea hare. Does anyone have one for sale or can loan it for a bit till I get rid of the green hair algae? thanks

I'm located in Richmond. :smile:

j83
07-27-2005, 03:07 AM
Big Als (Richmond) has a ton of them right now. They will go after hair algae but only the small stuff - I don't think anything will go after longer stuff. You just gotta get out the toothbrush and start scrubbing, and let the hare take care of the rest.

Richard_Dicosimo
07-28-2005, 01:47 AM
i bought some strawberry snails from big als in Calgary when i had a BAD hair algea outbreak. they where capable of mowing down a 5 lb peice of live rock completely covered in about 2days/per snail

Winters
07-28-2005, 04:23 AM
i bought some strawberry snails from big als in Calgary when i had a BAD hair algea outbreak. they where capable of mowing down a 5 lb peice of live rock completely covered in about 2days/per snail

Are these like Strawberry Conch's or perhaps Red-banded Trochus snails? I've never heard of "Strawberry Snails" before.

Can someone confirm that these guys eat a lot of hair algae.. since I've got some hair algae issues. :)

Thanks.

OCDP
07-28-2005, 03:16 PM
adidas on this board said he got some and had nothing but good things to say about them.

I am going to go try and find some myself... damn the hair algae... DAMN THE HAIR ALGAE!!!

Delphinus
07-28-2005, 04:00 PM
What I saw at Big Al's recently that were labelled "Strawberry Snails" were basically "very large trochus snails." I have a few trochus snails that are a few years old that are that size now.

Anyhow, yes, to confirm: trochus snails are awesome algae eaters, and seem to be less prone to "just up and dieing" than astreas and turbos (which are also good algae eaters). They're my first choice for snails if I'm looking to buy snails for a new tank or whatever.

The only problem with large snails is that they can knock a lot of stuff over.

Sea hares are great, but once they clean the tank of hair algae, they're at risk for starving, so they'll need to be fed (unless you happen to have a ready supply of hair algae). Algae wafers or nori seems to sometimes work.

Nemo
07-28-2005, 04:32 PM
my tangs took care of my problem, once they decided to eat the stuff it only took then 3 days to clean it out of my tank

fresh
07-28-2005, 05:46 PM
nemo... you are one lucky person!!! :eek:

Mykiss
04-24-2006, 10:01 PM
HHmm... perhaps I should look into a yellow tang..... it's just those darn seahares don't seem to last long enough to get rid of the hair algae cause they have some sort of attraction to the powerheads! LOL

Mykiss
04-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Not looking for one anymore. thanks

Pan
04-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Are these like Strawberry Conch's or perhaps Red-banded Trochus snails? I've never heard of "Strawberry Snails" before.

Can someone confirm that these guys eat a lot of hair algae.. since I've got some hair algae issues. :)

Thanks.

My emerald crab ate all my hair algae....i lot of it.