PDA

View Full Version : Macro Algae question/s

Saltysteve
07-21-2005, 07:28 PM
My Grape Caulerpa as well as my other Macro (can't remember what the heck its called) is not growing anymore. What is it they feed on?
Nutrients? :idea:

Willow
07-21-2005, 09:43 PM
excess nutrients in the water and light. do you heavy skim?

Saltysteve
07-22-2005, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the reply!
This is confusing for me, bare with me. I am dealing with excess nutrients right now. Hair Algae, Cyano outbreaks etc. I find it stimulating that the "needers" of such a utopia are not enjoying it???
Perhaps it's more Nitrate than anything else but aren't the two hand in hand? I have no sign of ammonia,nitrite,nitrate etc and the macro is definitely not consuming/absorbing it. There is a definite grey area here!

Hope I can remain intelligent long enough to wrap my head around this. I'm not getting younger LOL

:redface:

Saltysteve
07-22-2005, 05:55 AM
No one has an answer for me ? :neutral:
My situation seems to contradict the known or I just have a case of weird science :lol:

Willow
07-22-2005, 07:39 AM
macro algae is not a silver bullet for cleaning up tank problems, it's all about balance. when you tank is in check with it's parameters and your nuisance algae is under control the macro algae will steadily grow provided the conditions are right. you may need to mess around with the right kind of algae is right for your system and what light periods work best but it will grow eventually. try and find yourself some cheato and get rid of the grape, when it does grow it will be a pain the in the ass whereas cheato just grows in a nice manageable ball and wont go sexual.

Willow
07-22-2005, 07:48 AM
i should also add that if you are heavy skimming then there will be no nutrients for the macros to grow.

Saltysteve
07-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the reply, learning everyday :biggrin:
I'll use it as a reference, once growth begins again I'll know I'm back on track.

thanks