PDA

View Full Version : Growth on live rock

Ruth
07-19-2005, 04:00 AM
There is a growth on my live rock in my 12g. Nano tank that I have at work. I don't have a picture of it cause my camera is at home and not work. It is shaped like a barnicle but it casts out an almost spider web like thing that you can then see it reeling in. Once it has done reeling it in it is quite common to see it spitting out what it doesn't want. Anyone tell me what this thing is? It is about 1/2cm. round and sticks out of the rock about the same distance. It started out even smaller but has grown to this current size.

ref leppard
07-19-2005, 04:46 AM
HI RUTH
I cannot find the name of it. It is a reef safe V...........snail.
The web it uses for feeding.Thats what I think.

Ruth
07-19-2005, 05:13 AM
Even though it never moves? It just started growing in the same place and has never moved. It is like a barnacle attached to the rock. I guess it could be a snail that lives inside. I would be interested if anyone knows the name so I can research it. I am not worried about it being reef safe as it is stationary.

Majestic_Aquariums
07-19-2005, 06:14 AM
We had one of those too-kinda cool to see it @ work looking for food. Like you mentioned, it would spin webs to catch food, and then toss the garbage out.
We never did find out the name of it @ the time though :confused:

Xtasia
07-19-2005, 06:23 AM
Take a look at this.

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_pages/faq_rock3.htm

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-19-2005, 07:41 AM
Maybe a "Vermetid gastropod" according to that link. Got one of those too in my tank :biggrin:

Anthony

Xtasia
07-19-2005, 04:06 PM
I have one too.. he's kinda gross but cool at the same time...

I almost treated him when I did aptasia because of his ICKY-EWW factor

Ruth
07-19-2005, 04:13 PM
I think it is cool. I like how it spits! I think it can lob it further than me.