PDA

View Full Version : AquaFX Barracuda 4 Stage RO/DI

Gizmo
07-17-2005, 12:35 AM
Just a little of my expereinces with this unit.

It arrived a couple of days ago, but I had to wait until today to install it. Having never done any real "fresh water line" plumbing, I was a bit nervous about the saddle valve they included. A side note on this unit. Instructions are CRAP. There was a bunch of parts with the saddle valve, and no bloody explination of how to get it to hook up the the 1/4" plastic piping to the unit. After about 4 leaky mistrials, I figured it out. I also noticed that you HAVE to check every connection on the unit that came from the factory already made, some weren't pushed in all the way causing those slow annoying leaks. This unit also came with a TSD metre for in and out feeds. The stupid thing, again with no useful instructions, always reads 0tsd on in and out... I'm pretty sure the water coming into my house is not 0tsd. and with no reference materials to know how to calibrate it, this unit becomes very useless. The website for AquaFX is equally as useless with no additional information to be had. The unit works excellent once hooked up right, but it is very frustrating to install and get working.

Three stars out of 5

Giz

AquaFX-Marianne
07-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Giz,

We are sorry you had so much trouble; the saddle valve is not our choice either. They are tricky, we recommend the hose bib adaptor, and we know they are not always feasible for a particular installation. We do offer 4 choices.

The fittings we use provide the user the ability to easily remove or add components. They are “quick disconnect fittings”. After we pressure test the units, UPS has a field day with them. Yes, you are correct, you do need to make sure they are in tight and have not come lose in shipping. You should do that with any water-using appliance.

If the TDS meter is not working, we are happy to replace it.

We have a toll free tech support number. We have excellent help available.

I am very happy to hear the unit is running now.

If you need anything else the number is 1-877-702-2074

Tman1973
07-26-2005, 11:16 PM
I have the same unit and have had it for about 3 years. I remember having one problem with it in the begining but for the live of me I can't remember what it was. I think that it may of been a leaking JG fitting.

But I do remember when I did contact them they took care of it pretty quickly.

For my experiences with this unit I'd have to give it a 4.5 out of 5.
It was a little on the pricey side with all the extras but over all a solid unit.

Gizmo
07-27-2005, 03:23 AM
Now that I have had it running for a little over 2 weeks (I think) I have to say it is a nice unit. As said before the installation was a B@$*# but once done, it works well. I will be contacting AquaFX about a new TSD meter because I still get 0 across the board. I would like to see AquaFX include some more detailed instructions on the unit however.

titus
07-27-2005, 04:07 AM
Hello,

I also have one. It was working very well.

Titus

AquaFX-Marianne
07-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Giz,

Believe it or not...We REALLY care.

We have had folks copy what we do EXACTLY and still not make it in the business due to service. I WILL make everything right for you.

We do use solid Aluminum brackets (they can not rust), TDS meters included to verify working conditions, quick connect fittings (even with their down side; must check after shipping) we believe they are better for you, choice of adaptors, we use 18 Meg resins (most people will not even see the difference, but they are the BEST resins anywhere). One of the first to tackel chloramines properly (BAT)

If someone has a unusually water conditions we can built for them.

We are NOT perfect, but we really care, and aspire.

But we can not fix, improve or grow without your feed-back....so thank you,

StirCrazy
07-29-2005, 04:13 AM
we use 18 Meg resins (most people will not even see the difference, but they are the BEST resins anywhere). One of the first to tackel chloramines properly (BAT)

Hi Marianne, question about this resin, is this what you use for a Post DI filter? If so wouldn't it be better to remove chloramines before the RO membrane as that is what actually can be destroyed by Cl? and if we use it before the membrane what kind of gal output would you expect out of water with a hardness of say 19ppm?

Steve

AquaFX-Marianne
08-01-2005, 12:49 PM
My bad, writing.

There is a chloramine removal carbon. It is put before the membrane. Regular carbon, block or GAC, will not do the job long, if at all.

The chloramine removal carbon actually needs 2 carbons in a row to complete the reaction.

Marianne

StirCrazy
08-01-2005, 05:19 PM
My bad, writing.

There is a chloramine removal carbon. It is put before the membrane. Regular carbon, block or GAC, will not do the job long, if at all.

The chloramine removal carbon actually needs 2 carbons in a row to complete the reaction.

Marianne

ahh ok so something like using two carbon blocks but more effective. do you have a link so we can see pricing and such on this stuff. also how are you guys shipping to canada now?

Steve

AquaFX-Marianne
08-01-2005, 05:40 PM
The carbon needed is a catalytic carbon, when I first tried this carbon, I had to learn exactly to to use it. We now use it with good results. It out last tradtional GAC, far out lasts blocks. This carbon sets a up a reaction on its surface.

Traditional carbons do not have the ability to maintain this action; some produce a gas bubble on there surface rendering the C (contributing carbon) unreachable.

The reaction takes a while even with this “best” grade of carbon, so running to in a row is essential.

This is a coal based material, but it has an altered electron state. This process is not chemically achieved so it is VERY safe and the most effective means of chloramine reduction we now have

StirCrazy
08-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks Marianne, I am assuming you are talking about the NH2CL BLASTER on this page http://aquariumwaterfilters.com/RODI/reverse_osmosis_filter_media.html

a question I use a Big progressive sediment filter (25 micron to 1micron) and then run through two carbon block. will the 10" NH2CL BLASTER replacment filters fit in a standard housing?

Steve

AquaFX-Marianne
08-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Yes, the blasters fit the standard canisters

Marianne
www.AquaFX.net

Coleus
09-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Where i can buy this unit in Calgary?

Thanks
________
How Effective Are Portable Vaporizers (http://www.vaporshop.com)

mike31154
09-10-2009, 03:11 AM
If your water source is treated with chlorine, you do not need a chloramine filter. Check with your local water provider before spending extra money on a chloramine filter.

Gizmo
09-10-2009, 04:04 AM
Wow thats an old post :)
You can get them from MOPS.ca or JL Aquatics