PDA

View Full Version : New tank

Ruth
07-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Whoo Hoo - my new light just arrived yesterday and I am very excited! It's 3X400W MH and 6X T5. I have unpacked it but not plugged it in yet. I am going to pick up the sump (90g) and stand next weekend in Edmonton and then I will be ready to start drilling my tank for the closed loop and hopefully be ready to start setup soon thereafter.
I am going to run a quiet one 6000 for a return from my sump and a sequence hammerhead - through an Ocean Motion 4 way that is going to be split into 8 returns from the tank. The tank is a 190g acrylic and I am going to run an ASM G-4 skimmer on it.
With all that flow I am planning an SPS dominant tank with a very light fish load. I am going to run BB - obviously.
I have been doing lots of reading on the zeovit "stuff" and am thinking about giving it a try. I know it is very contraversial and to a dummy like me very confusing but it is hard to argue with some of the results.
Let me know what you think.

Ruth
07-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Whoops - should have read 8 returns to the tank.

Majestic_Aquariums
07-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Sounds NICE!!! That is going to be a killer tank I think. The whole BB thing seems to be catching on

mr_alberta
07-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Sounds sweet!

Lemme know how that zeovit turns out! I've also been very curious about it.

Are you going to use Starboard or just put the rock directly onto the bottom glass?

Ruth
07-16-2005, 02:21 PM
It's an acrylic tank. Do you know where I can buy starboard. I have tried a couple of searches but can't find it in Canada.

mr_alberta
07-16-2005, 03:05 PM
If you are in Edmonton, Johnston's Industrial Plastics sells it by the 4'x8' sheet. You probably don't need so much, so you may want to find others to split it up (I'm willing to take a 45"x30" chunck is available!). IIRC, it was about $120 for the whole sheet...that is IF I remember correctly :rolleyes:

Usually, any plastics shops carry this stuff. Its also called HDPE (High Density Poly Ethelene) but I'm sure there are many other names for this stuff.

rickjames
07-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Holy Crap! Cool sounding setup, it will be exciting to put together! Are you considering a chiller for your tank? I have 2 400W on my 150 and even with the sump in the basement my tank still goes up to 84 sometimes. Just a thought...

The setup sounds great though.

vanreefer
07-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Just another thought...
I don't know if you have your skimmer already... but I have read that the G4 is "underpumped"... I got the G4X for that reason works like a charm on my 100G total water volume :cool:
JME
PS check out the ASM club thread on RC... but bring cofee I thinks its about 80-90 pages :eek:

rickjames
07-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Just another thought...
I don't know if you have your skimmer already... but I have read that the G4 is "underpumped"... I got the G4X for that reason works like a charm on my 100G total water volume :cool:
JME
PS check out the ASM club thread on RC... but bring cofee I thinks its about 80-90 pages :eek:

I have heard this but I'm not sure I believe it as euroreef will use the same pump off a g4 (sedra 5000) on a cs8-3+ which is about the same size as a g4x! Correct me if I'm wrong on my facts though....

All I can say is that the g4x rules, but thats the only one I have tried!

Ruth
07-17-2005, 03:43 AM
I have actually heard this as well. I have a Sedra 7000 that I could use but will have to somehow change the fittings around as it is 1 1/2" output and the skimmer is 1" input. Not sure if you can do this??? Any help?
I run the ASM G3 currently and really like it but am considering going bigger as this one is on my 230g. Would love to try one of the Bubble Kings but $$$$$$$$$