PDA

View Full Version : New aragacrete background

BMW Rider
07-16-2005, 03:16 AM
After seeing some of the ways that others did the backgrounds in their tanks with etir aragacrete or with foam, I was wishing I had done so with my tank before it was set up. My original plan was to keep the back glass clean (chorus of laghters from the experienced :lol: ). That soon gave way to just keeping the angled back pane clean (more laughter :lol: ). Finally I gave up cleaning it at all and just let the coraline grow reserving my cleaning efforts for the viewing sides.

Well, my wife didn't like that look and combined with the plumbing for the returns, including a spray bar, she commented that it looked like a "shipwreck" :rolleyes: .

So what I ended up doing was making some aragacrete panels using eggcrate as a framework. I shaped the eggcrate so that (hopefully) it would give the appearance of a reef structure behind the rock. I also made a two-sided piece to fit around my corner overflow. After nearly three months of curing, the panels were finally ready, so last night I put them in and re aquascaped my rock. I'm very happy with the result, it looks much as I hoped it would. The areas theat are not covered by the panels will be relativly easy to scrape clean to keep the look of open ocean behind my little reef. One the coraline grows on it, and perhaps a few frags, it should complete the illusion.

My wife is away for the weekend, so I'll be waiting to supprise her with the new appearance when she gets home. Hopefully it will gain her approval.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1017aragacrete-background.jpg

Majestic_Aquariums
07-16-2005, 03:22 AM
Cool! Will be interesting to see in a couple weeks too!

Mitch#3
07-16-2005, 03:37 AM
Nice,

I would give it a shot but
I have two left feet for hands,
really, I failed "Arts and Crafts" in g\Grade 11 ( my mother kept the report card :redface: )

looks cool tho :mrgreen: