PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor question

Ruth
07-15-2005, 02:15 AM
I just hooked up my new Precision Marine 622 calcium reactor. I think I followed the directions correctly but I did find them a bit confusing. I am a bit nervous as I have never run a CR before and am terrified of crashing my tank as I have heard of other people doing by not having them dialed in correctly.
My question is that I tested the effluent and it is at 7.5. I have the CO2 set at about 60bpm and have the flow out of the reactor dialed back to a slow small interupted stream. Does this sound right to everyone? Anyone have any pointers or suggestions?

monza
07-15-2005, 04:18 AM
Sounds right to me. Just measure your Alk, Ph and calcium regularly for the next while and see what happens.

Dave

Delphinus
07-15-2005, 05:17 AM
You'd really have to overdo it, IMO, to worry about crashing your tank.

For the most part, pick a pH you're comfortable with. 7.5 is OK, but you can safely go a bit lower. I target mine at 6.7. Whatever the flow rate, bubble rate, etc., just know that you want the pH to be at your target.

Depends on your tank size of course but basically start with a slow stream, say, 60 ml/min, and whatever bubble rate that gets you that target pH.

Let it run for a couple of days, then test your alkalinity and calcium. For the most part you need only test Alk, IMO. Both Ca and Alk will be added together in a fairly balanced manner (exceptions may apply but let's not worry about it for now).

If your Alk is where you want it, great, you're dialed in. Test again in another couple days to be sure.

If your Alk is lower than where you want it, dial up the reactor. Both effluent rate and bubble rate. If you started at 60 ml/min, make it 75 ml/min. Or something, you get the idea. Adjust the bubble rate again to get pH to target. Test again in a few days, etc.

If your Alk is higher than where you want it, then you can dial down the reactor.

It will take quite a few days of fiddling with the flowrates and bubble rates, but I find if you just stick to a target pH and adjust around that, then at least it's a little easier.

Aquattro
07-15-2005, 05:19 AM
Does this sound right to everyone? Anyone have any pointers or suggestions?

Sounds perfect. Test your tank every day or two and adjust as required for about 2 weeks.

Ruth
07-15-2005, 05:40 AM
Thank you very much. I am a real dummy when it comes to trying to put equipment together and get it working properly. I am fine once I have actually done it and understand how it is supposed to work/go together. I will keep a close eye on it and test daily and if I have any more questions you'll be hearing them.

Aquattro
07-15-2005, 05:48 AM
This may help...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.htm

Quinster
07-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Delphinus - that is probably the best non tech way I have ever seen anyone explain a calcium reactor....where was this when I got mine? :lol: