PDA

View Full Version : Glass finally ordered.

outtafocus
07-13-2005, 12:21 AM
Does any one in Calgary know of a glass shop which is open hours other than mon-fri 8-5? Weekends, or evenings?

I need to get glass for a sump priced out, but every shop I try is open only the hours which I work.
I have been trying to get to some shops during work hours, but my job takes my to the extreme corners of the city and no where near any glass shops.

Do you know approx what a piece of 1/4" thick glass measuring 12"x12" costs? I am just trying to ballpark my project.
Thanks

Majestic_Aquariums
07-13-2005, 03:18 AM
I wouldn't think any shop would charge you more than $10 for a piece that size. I used to get my glass for cabinet doors @ Carrs Glass-in the S.E. and quite reasonable. I don't however know their hours of operation though. Sorry.

outtafocus
07-13-2005, 03:54 AM
Thank you.

Delphinus
07-13-2005, 06:05 AM
I totally sympathise. All the places like that I pretty much have to sneak away from work, or leave early or take a long lunch or whatever, to get stuff done.

Another place to check is the Glass Guild, up in the NE, and another place I've gotten glass from is Home Solutions. Neither have the hours you're looking for, though.. sorry.

takphan
07-13-2005, 07:24 AM
i go to bow valley for my glass
typically Dough still there at 6pm~6:30pm
and they "open" on Sat
prices are fairly reasonable
12X24 and 12X18 for $10

Tak

outtafocus
07-13-2005, 11:26 PM
I may have to give bow valley a call.

outtafocus
07-20-2005, 11:33 PM
After way too long, I have finally ordered all the glass I need for my sump and external display refugium, I also ordered the two pieces I need for an overflow.

The price was alot cheaper than I expected. Will be a few days for all the cuts.

I know this has been asked before, but whats the best silicone for tank building? Perferably from Rona etc?

Funky_Fish14
07-21-2005, 01:07 AM
I think both HD and Rona carry it, it is GE Silicon I Windows and Doors, 100% Silicon rubber.

If you dont mind me asking, how much was the glass price per square foot and what thickness? Thanks.

Chris

outtafocus
07-21-2005, 01:32 AM
Per square foot, I have no idea. But I am getting 15pcs of 1/4" cut and ground for under $130. Most pieces are 18x16ish.

Thanks for the silicone tip.

outtafocus
07-27-2005, 11:12 PM
I picked up my glass today. All pieces were cut to my exact measure.

I know acetone is a good solvent for cleaning any oils and dust from the edges which are to be siliconed, but would white vinegar also do the trick?

Now where did I put my silicone? :biggrin:

outtafocus
07-28-2005, 03:59 AM
I just finished building the tank portion of the sump, no baffles yet.
Everything went very smooth. I figured with my past experience of siliconing a sink into place, I would have silicone everywhere.
I am surprised, I have little to no unwanted silicone smears, some minor trimming will be necassary as will a finishing internal sealing coat.

I will allow the silicone to cure till saturday then I will add the baffles followed by the final silicone.

I had planned on building this tank very slowly over the up coming long weekend. Guess I blew that plan out the window.
No one should be affraid of building a glass tank. I say that now, maybe I should wait till after the leak test.

Skimmerking
07-28-2005, 07:42 PM
I use cheap old RUBBING ALCOHOL on mine that stuff you buy at a supermarket or food store or even canadain tire..

mike
p.s i have used this stuff on my 280 gal and no effects what so ever.