PDA

View Full Version : All my fish are dead

corper
07-10-2005, 02:35 PM
I got up this morning only to find all my fish dead :cry: . I don't know what happened? I turned out the lights last nigh at ten, Went down to turn them on this morning at six and they were all dead. My corals are fine though. No power went out, temp is fine and water quality looks good. The only fish to survive was a damsel, sleeper goby, spotted watchman, one cleaner shrimp (not looking good) and both my starfish. The sleeper goby looks like he has some red by his gills and on his fins. But he seems to be ok for now. I lost my tangs, the rest of my damsels and clown fish. I'm so ****ed of right now :evil: . How could this happen? I moved two weeks ago, but the fish haven't shown one sign of distress. I kept them in their old tank water in a 33 and half the live rock. In alll honesty, they were actuall doing better. I just don't get it :confused: . Lucky for me I gave all my SPS and LPS corals to someone to look after. I kept my softies and leathers and their fine. All my crabs and snails seem to be intact. The worse part is that I planned on moving them into the 72 today. Should be much easier now (not funny) :sad: .

corper
07-10-2005, 02:58 PM
I think I may have assisted in the death of my fish, but I'm hoping someone can tell me I'm wrong. I went to start pulling the dead fish out of the tank, when I noticed a piece of liverock had fallen infront of the powerhead blocking its flow. Yesterday when I was cleaning the garage I had to slide the tank over about a foot. The rock must have fallen then. At night my protein skimmer goes off for 6hrs. Thats when the kalk drip, phyto plankton and othe goodies go in the tank. It also would have been the only thing providing circulation :frown: . Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

KrazyKuch
07-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Did any of the dead fish have the red spots around the gills......if so could have been some dieseas (sp?)

I don't think the flow would have killed them....I have 2 clown fish in my fuge which has almost no flow at all.....I have a small mixing pump rated at like 40 GPH feeding my fuge and my clowns are doing just fine!!!!

corper
07-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Their were no red spots on the gills, they were just red in general. So far I'm up to 10 dead. But I did find a chromes that survived (1 out of 8). My Yellow Tang and my Blue Tang are both deceased :sad: . I'm still hoping to fing my sixline wrasse, he's been in their since I started the tank a couple of years ago. Do you think the anemone could have anything to do with it, he's still alive.

rickjames
07-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Does your tank have a deep sand bed? If so how did you move it?

Jack
07-10-2005, 07:41 PM
Maybe oxygen was low?

Johnny Reefer
07-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Maybe oxygen was low?

Sounds like that to me, too.

Lack of surface agitation, perhaps?
What size is the tank?
Overcrowded to begin with, maybe?
How was/is the breathing of the remaining fish? Normal? Rapid?

HTH.

Cheers,

Old Guy
07-11-2005, 12:07 AM
Maybe oxygen was low?

I'd put money on it.

Beverly
07-11-2005, 12:47 AM
Could be low oxygen, but if the powerhead was still pushing water around, maybe not. You say water quality is good. Just to be on the safe side, what are ammonia and nitrite readings?

Scavenger
07-11-2005, 12:53 AM
Could be low oxygen, but if the powerhead was still pushing water around, maybe not. You say water quality is good. Just to be on the safe side, what are ammonia and nitrite readings?

I was thinking this myself. What if the tank re-cycled during the move???

Gizmo
07-11-2005, 02:06 AM
Sounds like you had a lot of fish for a 33, even with a skimmer and being temporary.

dirtyreefer
07-11-2005, 02:17 AM
Your tank is a 33??? Your bioload is a disaster waiting to happen.

dirtyreefer
07-11-2005, 02:18 AM
Sorry I didn't see the 72. But 2 tangs, 8 chromis, goby, damels etc?? You're still way over in bioload.

snaggle
07-11-2005, 02:29 AM
Sorry I didn't see the 72. But 2 tangs, 8 chromis, goby, damels etc?? You're still way over in bioload.

I agree that that seems like too many fish you might be ok if you had split the fish between the two tanks on a common sump.

Sorry about your loss

Brad

EmilyB
07-11-2005, 03:08 AM
IME, 9/10 problems have been related to flow in one way or another. Not necessarily fish deaths but some yes.

No way those fish in a 33g could get the oxygen they needed if the only flow source was blocked. When oxygen deprivation occurs, the fish that needs it the most expires(dies) first. This frees up a little O2 but then ammonia kicks in. IMHO, if it wasn't a cycling tank then this deadly combination killed off your fish one by one.

:frown: Sorry for your losses

KrazyKuch
07-11-2005, 02:25 PM
by the sounds of it the only thing putting oxygen into you water was your skimmer which you turned off for the night!

Still sorry to here....take now make sure you do a huge water change to get your ammonia levels down and to re-oxygenate the water!!!

Invigor
07-11-2005, 02:42 PM
it's all about the air stones!

sorry for your loss. I've had a few close calls with lack of oxygen problems.