PDA

View Full Version : Formula salt

Ruth
07-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Is anyone else using this salt? It is called Formula grade A reef salt. I have been buying from Aquarium Illusions in Edmonton and have used it since day 1 on my 230. I tried to e-mail the company as I was in Vancouver last weekend and thought I could perhaps pick some up a bit cheaper while I was there but never heard back from them. I am happy with the salt just wondering if anyone else has experience with it.

Ruth
07-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Bump - I'm curious.

Willow
07-11-2005, 06:52 PM
never heard of it, used kent for 5 years so i don't really look at anything else.

rayyue
07-12-2005, 02:22 AM
this is the best salt for reef tank you can buy in the market
it has higher calcium level than any other salt
i'm using it and my tank look wonderful
but if your tank just for fish only
you don't really need it

EmilyB
07-12-2005, 03:42 AM
Is this the salt from China?

Ruth
07-12-2005, 03:52 AM
My tank is a reef tank and as I stated I am very happy with the salt. When I test it before water changes the calcium tests at 400 and the alk at 2.97meg/L. I was just curious who else was using it. I am sure this salt is from somewhere in Asia as a lot of the writing on the bag is some Asian language.
The only place I have ever seen it is at Aquarium Illusions tho and wouldn't mind knowing if there are other places to buy?

BCOrchidGuy
07-12-2005, 04:16 AM
If you do some research you'll find that Salts are a contentious (any spelling teachers here??) subject. The BEST on the market is what at least 4 different manufacturers are claiming about their salt and they all have data to prove their point. I've never heard of this salt but that doesn't mean anything, I find I like to stick with what works for me, what's easy to use and what's convenient and affordable. I like Kent Salt, always have, it's been consistant for me and I can't find any reason to complain about it. There are a number of people however who think it's garbage so I think a lot of it is personal prefference.

Doug

Ruth
07-12-2005, 04:41 AM
Boy you have that right Doug. Salt is certainly a hotly contested subject and I certainly was not trying to start a salt debate. Heck I had a total tank crash with Instant Ocean that caused me to quit the hobby for a year. IO did reimburse me for the lost coral and livestock but I will never use it again even though it is definately the most popular according to most boards I have read.
My reason for posting was just to see if others were having success and maybe find a backup supplier I could get it from.
I totally agree on using what works for you. All of our tanks are different - and that is what makes this such a cool thing to spend our money on and why there is so much passion as can be clearly seen by following the posts on this and other boards.

Ruth

Willow
07-12-2005, 05:22 AM
funny thats its best on the market but they dont seem to sell it anywhere ive ever been before :rolleyes:

rayyue
07-12-2005, 09:34 AM
this salt is from japan i think
the reason is not popular because it is expensive than io or kent or the other brand on the market

Ruth
07-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Here is their web site
http://www.formula.jp.com/

Mitch#3
07-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Ruth you can pick it up here as well

http://www.waisaquarium.com/ :biggrin:

Its in calgary tho :frown:

Cheers
MitchMc

Ruth
07-12-2005, 09:29 PM
I actually get to Calgary once in while as that is where my work head office is. I have been to Wai's - beautiful stuff but $$$$$. It's good to have another place to buy my salt though so thanks.

Chad
07-12-2005, 10:26 PM
just noticed, these guys are located in Richmond BC, Canada :)

OceanAquatics
07-14-2005, 05:59 PM
We carry it at Ocean Aquatics.
It only comes in 50 gallon bags or 3 to a box. No buckets yet.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Colin at Coral Ocean in Vancouver also carries it. I never really paid too much attention to this brand but I guess it is reasonably available.

Anthony