PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas....

LostMind
07-09-2005, 06:09 AM
On how to move a broken 320g tank out of my basement.

With the side pane completely gone, the tank isn't stable. So I can't just get some guys and move the tank to a truck and haul it to the dump.

But I am not sure if taking a hammer to it is really all that safe, even if it SOUNDS like fun (usually the things that sound fun to me end up resulting in pain...).

The front pane is starphire - is that similar to tempered? If so, can I just smash it?

Any other ideas? I already tried to sell the tank for a year cuz I had no clue how to get rid of it. But no one wants a busted tank (me neither) so I really just need it out of the house so I can move on to the next one.

Delphinus
07-09-2005, 06:41 AM
I'm not sure I'd take a hammer to something that large. I've smashed small tanks like 20g's that were sumps to get them out of a tight tank stand, and found myself cleaning shards for months ever after.

The two things I'd consider is 1) build a temporary frame to compensate for the missing panel, or 2) try something like a guitar string to disassemble the panels. (Never tried that so don't know how well it works, but I've heard it suggested in the past.)

Oh and yeah anyhow, tempered vs. starphire. Not the same. You can have tempered starphire glass, non-tempered starphire, etc. Whether it's tempered or not depends probably on the dimensions of the tank. At 320g it's not inconceivable that it is (tempered) (my 280g's front glass is tempered 1/2 starphire). But if the tank is short or shallow its possible that it isn't. Supposedly you can tell if glass is tempered or not by looking at it with polarized sunglasses (the polarization will pick up on the wavy lines that you can't ordinarily see otherwise, should look like a criss crossing pattern ... I think. :confused: I guess I should check with my own tank whether this is an urban myth or not. :redface: )

Anyhow, whatever you decide, good luck. Hope the remaining panels are salvageable. Given the price of starphire these days it would be a shame to see it go to waste.

Bryan
07-09-2005, 07:49 AM
Call a glass place and see if they will come and get it. They may be happy to salvage the glass for free.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-09-2005, 07:54 AM
Maybe get some friends to help you cut up the tank & carefully carry out each pane. Maybe go to a furniture place & ask for several refrigerator boxes to use as padding. A tank that size will be super heavy so taking it out pane by pane might be a viable way of getting it out of there.

OK, who's next? :biggrin:

Anthony

albert_dao
07-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Glass is great for getting those needed silicates into your everyday diet.

LostMind
07-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Hmmm, I dunno about the eating glass part... I think I saw it on ripleys believe it or not though :)

Dissambling it was my original idea, but it took me 2 whole days to remove the broken glass, and it was hard work that consumed a whole pack of razor blades... and the piano wire doesnt work (well, I used the thinnest guitar string, the metal one and it wouldnt cut thru the silicone).

A glass shop to salvage it? Never thought of that! I think I will call around tomorrow.

polarized sunglasses? hmmm, my glasses are polarized, I should check soon :)

BCWolfen
07-09-2005, 09:37 AM
I don't know how effective it would be but you could tape the entire tank up using wide masking tape and the smash it.

The tape should keep all the glass together and prevent it from flying around.
Don't go crazy with the hammer but try and break small sections at a time.

LostMind
07-09-2005, 05:45 PM
hahaha, you know, if I did it with duct tape I bet it would hold. Being quite thick and heavy glass, the masking tape would just be torn up I think...

I'm a good canadian boy and have 3 or 4 rolls of duct tape downstairs!

I like solutions to problems that only require 1 person. Cuz getting people out to carry a big ass tank costs me beer and steaks :)

rainmaker69
07-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Could you find someone to repair it? Since you already have the panel out it should be simple, for an experienced person, to clean it up and re-silicone the panel back in.

hawk
07-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Try wrapping the tank using duct tap and heavy plastic or a tarp/blanket then break it. This should help contain the debris and make it a little safer.

Ruth
07-09-2005, 08:39 PM
I think I could have some real fun with this one. 4 or 5 rolls of duct tape - a large hammer - reread my divorce papers - ...........................

LostMind
07-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Well, I had a professional look at it. He declined to do it. But he said it was really easy to do. I asked him why he wouldnt fix it and he avoided answering. I figure he doesnt want to be liable for the seams blowing out and ruining my house :)

As I said, I removed the broken pane of glass. It took two days, about 5 hours of work each day and a LOT of razor blades. I still haven't got the silicone off the glass. Removing that silicone so the new silicone can properly seal the new pane of glass in place is, imo, next to impossible.

And apparently everyone else thought the same as I tried to GIVE the tank away after no one would buy it for $100 and I couldn't...

So now, I figure busting the tank up with duct tape sealing it is my best option :)

rainmaker69
07-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Well, it seems a terrible waste but.....
Don't forget the gloves and saftey glasses. Duct tape and the blanket sounds like the best idea, but if it is on carpet maybe try to slide a sheet of plywood under it first.

LostMind
07-10-2005, 09:11 AM
When I attempt it, I will make sure to take some pics ;)

KrazyKuch
07-10-2005, 03:39 PM
I would suggest ear plugs aswell cause when you hit that glass for the first time if it is tempered the who window will shatter making a huge poping sound!!!