PDA

View Full Version : Getting an acrylic tank drilled

Ruth
07-09-2005, 03:51 AM
I am slowly moving forward on my new 190g tank and will have to get it drilled for a closed loop. I asked at Aquarium Illusions in Edmonton but they only do glass. Does anyone know of someone that can do this either in the Peace River area or even Edmonton or points in between? :question:

Willow
07-09-2005, 05:57 AM
acrylic is super easy to drill yourself, just get a drill and a decent bit and you can do it yourself.

Tom R
07-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Ruth

Drilling acrylic can be done with a good wood bit available at your local building center.

Tom R

Zerandise
07-09-2005, 03:12 PM
yes it can. I drilled my 140 myself. Just get the right sized wood bit for your bulkhead.

Ruth
07-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Oh Man I am pretty useless when it comes to things like this but up for trying. So you mean I just buy or borrow a wood drill and get a good bit for it. I think I have a Makita drill out in the shed so what kind of bit is a good one?

Johnny Reefer
07-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Hope I'm not being technical here, but...don't you guys mean a hole saw?

Cheers,

Tangman
07-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Hope I'm not being technical here, but...don't you guys mean a hole saw?

Cheers,
YES, Ruth , please don't just use a normal drill bit, get a HOLE SAW .
They can be bought at Revy for about $20.00

Ruth
07-09-2005, 04:16 PM
OK Thanks. I told you I was pretty bad at this kind of thing! I'm still hoping there might be someone up here that will leap forward and offer to help.

Johnny Reefer
07-09-2005, 04:48 PM
There pretty simple to use. They are a combined unit that has a drill bit along with a cylindrical saw blade. The drill bit drills a small hole first and the hole saw then follows, with the drill bit still employed and acting as a guide. You use a regular power drill for it. Probably would need a 1/2" chuck and corded. Cordless likely would be too weak. Just be sure to be hanging on to it firmly when the saw blade bites. You could likely rent one and they could even explain to you how it works. I rented two hole saw bits and a 1/2" drill last month for a 1/2 day for about $15. There must be a tool rental place in FSJ, yes?

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

bear27
07-09-2005, 05:55 PM
The inportant thing when doing this is to go slow, and I cant emphisize this enouf! If you go to fast you will create to much heat and this stresses the acrylic which will lead to crazeing. the best method is to just let the saw/drill cut under its own weight,andIf it starts getting to warmjust stop for 10 min then go back. The next thing is to keep the drill level. If you follow these tips you should have no problems

takphan
07-09-2005, 07:19 PM
most Home Depot and Rona rent out tools
spray some water to keep the bit cool

when you are about to break through, stop and drill from the other side and go slow.

G/L

Tak

Ruth
09-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Well the guy I had lined up to come and drill my tank has not worked out so it is looking like I will have to do it myself. One of the local glass shops has offered to loan me their drill and bits that I need. My question is if I have say 3/4" bulkheads do I use a 3/4" bit or do you have to go a bit bigger to accomodate getting the bulkhead to go in? I have to drill 10 holes total for my closed loop and it just about makes my knees buckle when I think about it. If you see me advertizing for a 190g plus tank in the next couple of weeks you will know that I messed up bad!

mr_alberta
09-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Well the guy I had lined up to come and drill my tank has not worked out so it is looking like I will have to do it myself. One of the local glass shops has offered to loan me their drill and bits that I need. My question is if I have say 3/4" bulkheads do I use a 3/4" bit or do you have to go a bit bigger to accomodate getting the bulkhead to go in? I have to drill 10 holes total for my closed loop and it just about makes my knees buckle when I think about it. If you see me advertizing for a 190g plus tank in the next couple of weeks you will know that I messed up bad!

Is your glass shop loaning you their wood hole saw bits or their diamond glass coring bits? Don't even bother if it is the diamond ones. You'll gunk up the diamond ones pretty bad trying to drill acrylic and will probably have to replace the bit afterwards!

Also, a 3/4" bulkhead needs a 1.5" hole I believe, but it is best to double check as there are 2 different sizes for 3/4" bulkheads.

Ruth
09-11-2005, 04:56 PM
How do you double check on the bulkheads? I have the bulkheads already so do I just measure it with that? Explain please and thanks. Also I am not real sure on the bit. They are steel bits with what look like steel teeth - I am pretty sure they use them for acrylic but good point and I better check.

StirCrazy
09-11-2005, 05:57 PM
How do you double check on the bulkheads? I have the bulkheads already so do I just measure it with that? Explain please and thanks. Also I am not real sure on the bit. They are steel bits with what look like steel teeth - I am pretty sure they use them for acrylic but good point and I better check.

buy the bulkheads first and then pick a hole saw that will make a big enuf hole. a 3/4" bulkhead will need a hole bigger than 1". I would guess about 1.25" but get it first and double check.

Steve

mr_alberta
09-11-2005, 08:36 PM

When you buy a bulkhead, take off the nut and there should be a rubber washer/o-ring thing. The inside diameter of that o-ring is the size of hole you need to drill for that bulkhead.