PDA

View Full Version : Red BuGs . . . . HeLp!! =(

megatron_55
07-08-2005, 03:14 AM
Just bought an acro frag a few days ago and it seems like it has red bugs . . . Now one of my own acro is starting to get infested with it :neutral: Need Help!!

Is there anything I can buy (solution?).... that will be safe when I put in my tank (I have no hospital tank) . . . Fresh water dip? How long?

HeLp!!

mr_alberta
07-08-2005, 03:20 AM
You'll have to pick up Interceptor from your Vet. Its a heart worm medication for dogs. Get the dosage for "large" dogs.

Here are the instructions you need to follow:
http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=439155

Jack
07-08-2005, 03:38 AM
I wouldn't dose untill you're done adding all your acro's to your collection because the proper treatment takes a bit of effort.

monza
07-08-2005, 06:00 AM
I wouldn't dose until you're done adding all your acro's to your collection because the proper treatment takes a bit of effort.

I don't really understand the reasoning behind that statement? Please explain

From what I've read treat it, and then treat all new incoming frags. Do you really ever quit adding, trading, selling and changing. I can't really ever see a day when I'd say ok no more I'm done, time for treatment.

I have not had red bugs. (Knock on wood) I'd treat ASAP before it has negative effect on your corals and spreads to all corals.

Dave

Aquattro
07-08-2005, 06:25 AM
agreed. Treat now, use the left over interceptor to "dip" all new frags.

megatron_55
07-08-2005, 06:29 AM
You'll have to pick up Interceptor from your Vet. Its a heart worm medication for dogs. Get the dosage for "large" dogs.

Here are the instructions you need to follow:
http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=439155

Now . . . do I just go to the vet and ask for an INTERCEPTOR tablet??? Or should I tell them that its going to be used for a fish tank (I heared they are prescription drugs)?? Anyone have any experience with removal of red bugs in the lower mainland?? I'd appreciate ur help!! pm me . . .

Aquattro
07-08-2005, 06:31 AM
print off the article linked above and take it to a vet. It's going to cost you about $50 for the meds, then you need to have it measured for your dosage requirements. A compounding pharmacy is your best bet for that.

KrazyKuch
07-08-2005, 10:05 PM
It can be hard to get Interceptor....Go to your vet and tell them that it is for your corals they will open a file and will need pictures.....Thats how me and Michika got Harvey his interceptor!!!

KrazyKuch
07-08-2005, 10:05 PM
also the perscription is like $100!!! for 6 tablets!

props
07-09-2005, 12:42 AM
I paid $56 for the medication and it only came with 6pills :frown: ..
Treated the tank 3 times back in August last year and only to find out I still had them in November, so I treated it again 4times doubling the recommended amount. So far I haven't seen one this year

props
07-09-2005, 01:48 AM
I would treat the tank right away dude .. Also be aware that we have lfs here in bc that currently have them on their tanks so check meticulously all the frags your putting in your tank. treat it or get a magnifying glass =o)

rickjames
07-09-2005, 02:30 AM
Once you get rid of them, treat every frag as if they have red bugs!

Every piece of acro that goes in my tank gets 6hrs minimum of interceptor treatment.

megatron_55
07-09-2005, 04:17 AM
Dang y'all . . . I cant get the meds . . . the vet that I went to won't give em to me even after I told them what I was doing and even gave them pics and explained yatta yatta . . . I might just give up and let it eat everything . . . :neutral: I dunno what to do . . . Sux that I got it . . . they're really gross looking . . . Anyhow . . .

If it kills everything . . . don't be surprised if I put my equipments for sale within a month or so . . . :frown:

Anyone know if it'll only kill acro's?? What about my fishies . . . they gonna be okay . . . ?? My softies/lps?? Yo Jess . . . sorry man . . . can't buy anything from you yet . . . i'L figure out this red bug thing first . . .

If anyone has any extra LMK . . . or if you can get them for me . . . Man those things are expensive . . .

mr_alberta
07-09-2005, 04:30 AM
I *may* kill you acros. There's been a huge dispute over whether or not they actually harm your corals...your fish and softies will be fine. Even your montiporas will be fine. The red bugs only affect acropora corals...and not all acros either.

I've read somewhere that a yellow coris wrasse may eat them, but I don't think that's ever been proven.

rickjames
07-09-2005, 05:32 AM
Dang y'all . . . I cant get the meds . . . the vet that I went to won't give em to me even after I told them what I was doing and even gave them pics and explained yatta yatta . . . I might just give up and let it eat everything . . . :neutral: I dunno what to do . . . Sux that I got it . . . they're really gross looking . . . Anyhow . . .

If it kills everything . . . don't be surprised if I put my equipments for sale within a month or so . . . :frown:

Anyone know if it'll only kill acro's?? What about my fishies . . . they gonna be okay . . . ?? My softies/lps?? Yo Jess . . . sorry man . . . can't buy anything from you yet . . . i'L figure out this red bug thing first . . .

If anyone has any extra LMK . . . or if you can get them for me . . . Man those things are expensive . . .

Don't give up! Go to another vet. If you are ligit' about the whole thing you will find someone who will prescribe it for you.

props
07-09-2005, 05:39 AM
I printed a copy of the posted link and showed it to Surrey Animal Hospital off King George and 70thave. They sold me the medication no questions asked. In fact the vet was quite interested on the article as well.