PDA

View Full Version : Sump plumbing

outtafocus
07-04-2005, 11:29 PM
I will soon be drilling my tank. I need to know how to go about plumbing the line from my tank to the sump below.
Do I go straight from the bulkhead down into the sump? Will this cause the water to have too much velocity?
or Should I be have a 90degree bend or two in there some where?

Hmmm now Im think I may add a few extra holes to have the return line enter through the glass instead of over the top. Sounds much cleaner looking to me. Any suggestions where these return holes should be placed? 2 holes in an 18" cube.

medican
07-06-2005, 04:10 PM
hey....
Need more imput.... :eek:

What flow will you have ?
What size of line for your return ?
1 or 2 drian lines ?
How big is your sump ?

With drilling your drain into the side of your sump your locked into there placement. Sumps can be ever changing and you might want to put them overtop just for that option.

SuperFudge
07-06-2005, 04:25 PM
I will soon be drilling my tank. I need to know how to go about plumbing the line from my tank to the sump below.
Do I go straight from the bulkhead down into the sump? Will this cause the water to have too much velocity?
or Should I be have a 90degree bend or two in there some where?

Velocity will only really be present on a pressurized line, on an overflow where it is passive flow, elbows will only back the water up the pipe further.

The less elbows the better. = less micro bubbles

Dont plumb it with rigid, use tiger/spa flex. = less micrbubbles.

Plumb it so it sits about 1" into your water, and drill a few small holes just above the water line. = more silent

Hmmm now Im think I may add a few extra holes to have the return line enter through the glass instead of over the top. Sounds much cleaner looking to me. Any suggestions where these return holes should be placed? 2 holes in an 18" cube.

About 1-2" below your intended tank water line works well, any lower and the sump has to take too much back siphon when the power is off.
Marc.