PDA

View Full Version : Cool Refugium Video :)

Beverly
07-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Scroll down to the bottom of the page to start the video. Cool bugs, great music :cool:

http://www.terra-nova-pro.de/html/video.html

Gizmo
07-04-2005, 11:29 PM
WOW. All that out of a hob fuge. Very cool. You must spend hours on the net looking for these things :D j/k Thanks! P.S. I saw that damn worm in my tank.... stupid things.

outtafocus
07-04-2005, 11:29 PM
Das is good ya.

Beverly
07-05-2005, 02:19 AM
WOW. All that out of a hob fuge. Very cool. You must spend hours on the net looking for these things :D j/k Thanks!

You're welcome :biggrin:

Don't spend that much time surfing the net. Found it at RC and thought it was cool enough to spread it around :smile:

kari
07-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Just turned off all the pumps for a little cleanup and it was quiet. I heard the same sounds coming from my fuge.

Doug
07-05-2005, 01:06 PM
:mrgreen:

danny zubot
07-05-2005, 02:35 PM
That reminded me of a David Suzuki special.
Hey Bev, it was you that has the killer worm right? If so, do you have any pics of it? I want to see if I have one, it looks like a big ugly bristle worm but its grey.

Beverly
07-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Danny,

Haven't yet found the rock that it's in. Worm is only out at night, so I doubt we will ever get pics of it. Will probably get rid of the whole rock once we find it and won't bother trying to get pics.... unless we find the worm easily once the right rock is found, though I doubt it.

terra nova pro
07-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Hi,

thank you so much for posting the link here Beverly. It is pretty amazing for me to see how this video is making its way round the world and to read all the nice feedback. That was definetly worth the work. It also seems like I am kind of travelling with it and have the chance to meet reefers from all over the world :biggrin:

Hope that this journey just has started :smile:

cu

George

Delphinus
07-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Welcome to Canreef! :cool:

Beverly
07-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Nice to meet you, George :biggrin: Thanks for making such a cool video. The macro work is amazing :cool:

Johnny Reefer
07-07-2005, 12:24 AM
Hi George,

Welcome to Canreef! :smile:
Cool video!
Love the soundtrack! :biggrin:
Can you reveal who it is?
Sounds like Enigma...yes?

Cheers,

Gizmo
07-07-2005, 04:48 AM
George, you should be taping the next coral reef video with talent like that. :mrgreen: Great Job!

terra nova pro
07-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Hi

and thanks for the warm welcome. It has been really a sad day over here guess that some of you heard about the London desaster already :frown: I sometimes ask myself if this would all have happend if George and Osama were Reefers. For me it seems like this is one of the biggest communities in the world :smile:

It is really kind of strange that I do receive so many request upon the music. In fact it is from one of these CD samplers that a lot of video hobbiest use to put some noise under their homevideos :redface: Normally the level of this music is somewhere between what you hear in the elevator or on the phone waiting line :smile: I do have quite a lot of these CD and it seems like this time I had a lucky hand, but maybe it is the combination of picture and music that makes it.

So how about you. What is the major set up for a reef tank over there?? Do you prefer "skimmer only" systems?? How about refugiums is that a must?? In Germany I think I am one out of ten using a cpr hangon refugium. I know that for sure because I was the first one who imported them a few months ago :smile:

cu

George

Beverly
07-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Some of us, like me, have gone from DSBs to bare bottom tanks. My tanks are all low tech, with no skimmers, no refugiums (have macroalgae in all tanks), or sumps, and low bioload with weekly maintenance/water changes.

However, there are a few reefers on this board who have the latest of everything :smile:

terra nova pro
07-07-2005, 10:12 PM
uuh thats interesting currently the DSB is the big hype here. The sale of live sand is really booming right now. Is bare bottom the opposite of DSB?? Is there a special reason why you have gone from DSB??

George

Beverly
07-07-2005, 10:35 PM
George,

Bare bottom is a tank without a sandbed. Here is a thread with pics of the detritus we clean out of our 67g every week. Pics are partway down the page:

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16978&highlight=bare+bottom+pics

terra nova pro
07-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Hi Beverly,

that is cool :eek: It was good that I made the trip to Canada :lol: Is it OK for you if I post a link in a German forum I guess that will cause quite some big discussions :smile:

cu

George

Beverly
07-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Link to your heart's content, George :biggrin:

Doug
07-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Hi George,

First, I missed giving you a big WELCOME to CANREEF. :mrgreen:

If you have a chance, there are many thread on the sps forum at Reef Central on bare bottomed tank. Some here also, plus others if your interested.

Although many like Bev, are now incoprorating it into their tanks of all kinds, it started out as a way to keep high flow sps tanks clean. To many nutrients gathered with dsb,s. They also run larger than normal skimmers and usually run them wetter than normal to remove the organics and detritus than is kept in suspended in the water by the higher flow.

And as you likely know, its nothing new. We kept reefs that way back 15 yrs. ago but not with the skimming strength we have now. I have also read many articles regarding German aquarists that have always used and still do, this method, which is part of the argument used in the bb versus dsb threads. I,m surprised that you mentioned dsb,s are the thing there now.

terra nova pro
07-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Hello Doug,

I guess it was over 20 years ago when I saw the first live sand at a retailer. It was the kind that is impoted like live rock and not the one in the bags. Then over the years this somehow came forgotten and the people have filled their tanks with dead coral gravel of different sizes. Currently it seems like everyone wants to have this powder white look in his tank and they are pulling of the ground out of their running tanks and replace it with the sugar size aragonite. It is really a trend right now and a lot of people with DSB swear that it pulls of all the nutrients out of the tank.
I mean we are talking about the average reefer who is running a bare bottom tank and not a breeder for corals or so. That was the reason why I was so surprised about the link that Beverly gave me. It looks like a nice reef tank the only thing missing is the ground. The idea is not new to me but I never thought about it on a reef display. Some of my friends are keeping lots of discus and they are of course already working with bare bottom.

cu

George

[/img]

terra nova pro
07-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Hi Beverly,

here is a link to the thread that you have caused with your bare bottom pics : http://www.riffaquaristikforum.de/forum/thread.php?postid=56610#post56610 Some people were really kind of stressed because they are afraid that this trend will come over like a wave and that they have to pull out their sand again :lol:
We are a small community with only about 800 users so I think it is a pretty tough reaction for one day :smile:

cu

George

Beverly
07-12-2005, 01:12 AM
George,

I used the ImTranslator http://freetranslation.paralink.com/remote.asp to translate the German into English. There were many words that did not translate, but one of the ideas that a few people had was that BB tanks are ugly :razz: At first, I thought they were ugly, too :eek: But after living with them for a year, I have come to appreciate their beauty in ways I did not think I possible before.

Thanks for the link :smile:

BCOrchidGuy
07-12-2005, 04:47 AM
<<Passes Bev a bigger spoon to stir up more trouble :biggrin: But seriously, that's an awesome video, myself I like a refugium, and will most likely build one that's in the area of 20+ gallons. On my 90 Gallon Reef I had a 55 Gallon refugium and it was awesome. The amount of life in there was unbelievable. I had 4 types of macro algae, pods, shrimp and sea horses in there and they all did well. Welcome to Can Reef, it's a good group of people here.

Doug