PDA

View Full Version : new project 30' by 50' greenhouse

golden69_ca
07-04-2005, 04:14 AM
does any one on the board have any experiance or noledge on buildinf and setingup a coral greenhouse?

thanx for the help becouse i have the ich bad :biggrin:

mark
07-04-2005, 04:52 AM
No experience but do you have 'Book of Coral Propagation' by Calfo?

golden69_ca
07-04-2005, 06:17 AM
i do have that book readit a couple times now . im planing a trip down to tropicorium down by detroit to get some hands on fell for a runing operation . and posibly some outher greenhouses in the usa if i can.

Delphinus
07-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Tropicorium is a neat place. Very ghetto style in some aspects but what the tanks and equipment service is most certainly not ghetto. Worthwhile seeing if you're ever in the SE Michican or Windsor or Sarnia Ontario areas.

Jayson over at SWC built a greenhouse before he opened his warehouse storefront. I haven't yet seen it though.

Salinity Now
07-05-2005, 03:21 AM
You can read this tread on RC. It steps you through beginning to I'd imagine bankruptcy. :lol:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=002febca9e259a8c362543d841e3cc1b&threadid=465933&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

robzilla
07-05-2005, 04:47 AM
good luck aaron, its going to be nice to see this baby up and running :smile:

zulu_principle
07-05-2005, 04:50 AM
Aaron

Been to Tropicorium and Dick and Ray are great guys, but probably not what you want to setup in what I would consider the next generation of greenhouses for coral prop. He doesnt skim, that being said he gets salt mix at aquarium prices, almost free.

Let me know I can pass on Calfo's info if you want to contact him directly for advice.

Wendell

Funky_Fish14
07-05-2005, 05:01 AM
Creston eh? Great little place! I'd have to come out and visit and see this greenhouse someday! Good luck with the project!

Chris

AndyL
07-05-2005, 05:22 AM
Wendell

I'm confused, because he doesn't skim one shouldn't follow his proven method?

No offense, but Mr Perrin has 4 decades of experience in saltwater / reef keeping, you'd pretty much think he knew what was really needed. And his methods have been proven long term.

Just because he doesn't use high zoot, expensive and inefficient toys, does that mean we shouldn't learn from his years of experience?

(BTW really good interview with him in the June/July Coral Magazine)

Andy

Veng68
07-05-2005, 05:42 AM
Anyone in the lower mainland try setting up a greenhouse?

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

zulu_principle
07-05-2005, 05:56 AM
Andy

Thats not what I was implying from my statement, but since he does not skim he uses alot of salt mix. Just for the record, I had this discussion with him at MACNA a few years ago.

That being said, his individual systems are huge and you would be lucky to fit two of his systems in aaron's 30 x 50 green house.

Im not suggesting that his systems are not proven, so if you want to propagate the corals that he is famous for, I would suggest using his system.

Maybe Aaron will let us know what he plans to propagate in his greenhouse. :mrgreen:

As for his experience, have learned lots from Dick, and Ray.

I believe the next generation of greenhouses will be far more efficient then Tropicorium has at this time, or at least the last time I visited.

As for the "high zoot, expensive and inefficient toys." When did I suggest using those ? I have my own experience with those :razz:

Wendell

golden69_ca
07-05-2005, 06:12 AM
thanx for the info wendell i have sent a email to calfo it will probaly take some time for him to return responce . the plans so for are i will be taking half my garage and build vats to start colonies. i hope to brake groung soon i have to get my nabour in to fall some trees for a clearing for the greenhouse and then i will have my aunt in with heavy machinery to do the leveling . i plan also to add 50 more feet of the second stage .

golden69_ca
08-12-2005, 06:07 AM
the wheels are in motion the room in the garage is build , insulated . the plexi arived today . the nabour milled ne the wood for the tables and i will start table and tank building this weekend i hope . as soon as it starts to come together i will post some pics . thanx to wendell for all the help and info :biggrin:

LostMind
08-12-2005, 06:11 AM
best of luck! Lotsa pics.

danny zubot
08-12-2005, 03:06 PM
I'm confused, because he doesn't skim one shouldn't follow his proven method?

I think when you are talking thousands of gallons of water skimming becomes a touchy situation. Levels probly don't fluctuate that much with that volume, plus a skimmer(s) to work that kind of volume would cost a small fortune. I think the reason they don't skim also might have something to do with the huge water changes needed to maintain calcium and Alk levels etc. It would be cheeper to by tonnes of salt than tonnes of suppliments.

Justin
08-14-2005, 07:07 AM
If your really gonna put a greenhouse out there, you might consider growing something in it other then coral, to fund your coral project :lol:

Skimmerking
08-14-2005, 08:36 PM
I have seen Jayson's Green house it ws his garage. looked pretty cool to. He had a bunch of skylights put in for his 4 x 500 gal tanks that he had. lots of natural lighing.

got very warm in there too.

Veng68
01-03-2007, 10:12 PM
So any updates on greenhouse projects?

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Joe Reefer
01-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Here (http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic49395-14-1.aspx) is a link to Steven Pro's GH project.

Bob I
01-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Since I am planning on moving to Creston in the Spring, I will get to see this. I majored in Greenhouse technology at Olds College, but that was for terrestrial plants.:sad:

Veng68
05-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Did you ever get your greenhouse set up?

Cheers,
Vic