PDA

View Full Version : Lettuce Nudibranch (Slug) Elysia crispata

Samw
05-04-2002, 09:36 PM
I bought 3 on April 30. Unfortunately, 1 got chopped up into several pieces the next day. I don't know what happened. Maybe a hungry fish or crab tried to taste it or maybe it got sucked up in a powerhead.

These 2 survived however:

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/2002-05.Album/nudispair.jpg

A closeup of the yellow rimmed one:

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/2002-05.Album/nudipose.jpg

[ 14 May 2002, 09:42: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Mak
05-04-2002, 10:22 PM
Anybody seen these eat Flatworms yet?

DJ88
05-04-2002, 10:51 PM
Trigger,

these slugs are herbivores. Algae only.

Mak
05-04-2002, 11:49 PM
What the Hell... John and Alan told me this is what I needed at least a couple times and when I mentioned I needed these to someone at Aquarium pros.ca they said nothing in the reply except to only have one in the 20g because they would die once they finished eating them... are you sure DJ88 or are people messing with me. If this is not true J&L will get a huge ear full :mad: !!!

Mak
05-04-2002, 11:50 PM
Oh yeah and... sorry SamW for this:(.

DJ88
05-05-2002, 12:19 AM
Do a search on DR ROns forum on Reef central. You'll find all kinds of great reading.

There is a nudi that does eat flatworms but they aren't eaily come by. I haven't ever seen them for sale up in Canada.

That is one major diff between slugs and nudi's the slugs are herbivores and nudis are more omnivores or feed on specific corals or prey. If I remember right. Take a read on RC and you'll find out a lot more.

Mak
05-05-2002, 12:42 AM
Ah gee whiz, I was thinking kewl they eat algae too. Maybe John and Alan were half asleep that day, but they definatly told me it was the "lettuce nudi's that eat them"...hmmm it's a good thing my new 50g is still slighlty cycling because I definatly would have bought at least two of them, and they would have died :( .

[ 05 May 2002, 00:51: Message edited by: TRIGGER_HAPPY ]

Samw
05-07-2002, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by TRIGGER_HAPPY:
Anybody seen these eat Flatworms yet?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe you mean these cool looking nudibranches:

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/1223794.html

Darn, I lost another lettuce nudibranch today. All that's left is the head. I swear someone's eating it. I don't see how it could float up and go through any of my powerhead intakes. Its gated pretty good. Of course, they always get killed while I'm at work and never when I'm at home watching them. Err.

They seem to do a great job eating the hair algae/bryopsis down to the roots though. This morning, I saw stubs of algae growing back on a part of rock that I scrubbed last week. But just now, that part of the rock has been mowed down by the lettuce slug lying nearby with no algae stubs around that area.

[ 06 May 2002, 22:00: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Mak
05-07-2002, 01:51 AM
Yeah these are the correct ones, there is also a yellow one Chelidonura electrica... but i swear John told me these ones, i even remember the coversation, he must have been sniffing skimate that day :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: lol

ruck'n'reefer
05-07-2002, 02:32 PM
You would be surprised how small of hole these guys can get through!!!