PDA

View Full Version : Stagnant water???

prosnow
07-03-2005, 12:44 AM
okay, i was wondering if i filled up a 150 gallon tank with RO water and just put a bubbler in it, would it be fine for top ups and water changes?

i'm only setting up a 35 gallon cube tank, so i dont think i will need to add much for a top up,

but i was just wondering if the water would become stagnant from just sitting there,

anyone that does this now or has in the past, please let me know your thoughts...thanks

Johnny Reefer
07-03-2005, 01:41 AM
I just started using a 45 gallon tank, 2 weeks ago, for top-off. I'm using an Aquaclear 101 powerhead in it. I have it on the bottom and facing up so the current rises vertically. When the tank is full you can barely see the surface agitation, but it seems to do the job. No stagnant water.

Cheers,

prosnow
07-03-2005, 03:32 AM
sorry guys, i must have been drunk when i wrote that post,
not thast i'm not now, ahhaa
anyways,
the "barrel" i want to put my water in was used for holding water for my auto top up system for my fresh water tanks, but i want to use it to store my ro water, anyone see a problem with this?

Willow
07-03-2005, 04:21 AM
is a food safe container, if so no problem.

prosnow
07-03-2005, 06:08 AM
yup, its food safe,
so do u all agree the water should be fine?

Johnny Reefer
07-03-2005, 08:10 AM
yup, its food safe,
so do u all agree the water should be fine?

Yup. As long as you got somethin' movin it around.

EmilyB
07-03-2005, 08:13 AM
Don't aerate stored water. Keep it closed and unheated until you prepare it for usage. :biggrin:

Beverly
07-03-2005, 01:15 PM
We keep the RO/DI water used for water changes heated to tank temps and very well aerated. Container lids are open slightly for the water to get oxygenated. It is stored for almost a week before using.

prosnow
07-03-2005, 05:25 PM
ya, since my tank will need very little top up and even a water change will be 4 gallons, a full tank will last me a long time,
think the stored water will be alright if its stored for a few months?

we've never had a problem with our freshwater tanks,

Beverly
07-03-2005, 06:07 PM
ya, since my tank will need very little top up and even a water change will be 4 gallons, a full tank will last me a long time,
think the stored water will be alright if its stored for a few months?

Never stored water that long. We always make new water after every weekly water change. Not sure why you'd want to store so much water.

prosnow
07-04-2005, 02:39 PM
well you see, i dont have my own ro unit yet, so i was just going to get my buddy to bring over his and fill my tank up, should last me long enough till i can go get my own

Beverly
07-04-2005, 05:19 PM
If you have 150g of RO water, I would put a large powerhead in it to keep it from going stagnant. Also, I would keep a glass or other top on it, but do not fully enclose it.

danny zubot
07-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Also, I would keep a glass or other top on it, but do not fully enclose it

Why's that?

I consider water to be a form of food. Isn't the best way to store food in a cool sealed container? If bacteria need O2 to live, then keeping water in a sealed, unariated container should last longer, No?

muck
07-04-2005, 07:03 PM
sealed, urinated container
Thats what my brain read the first time.. :eek:

danny zubot
07-04-2005, 07:10 PM
LOL :lol:

Beverly
07-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Also, I would keep a glass or other top on it, but do not fully enclose it

Why's that?

I consider water to be a form of food. Isn't the best way to store food in a cool sealed container? If bacteria need O2 to live, then keeping water in a sealed, unariated container should last longer, No?

Danny,

I don't exactly know why I would do that, but I would. We're not talking drinking water here, we're talking about RO water that will eventually to into someone's reef. What kind of bacteria are going to get in there? What will they live on? Inquiring minds want to know :smile:

danny zubot
07-04-2005, 08:33 PM
I don't know, nitrifying bacteria could somehow get in there over time and start the cycle. Anything really, crypto sparidium? :razz: I just figured that anything to be stored should be sealed and chilled (cool area) to extend it's shelf life. Oxegenating the water can wait until the salt is mixed in later. Some people mix their water then store it which is a very bad idea for obvious reasons IMO. Even heating it would speed up the bacterial metabolic rate so I don't see the point.

Truthfully, I'm not basing this on any proven scientific evidence, this is just my logic at work here. :lol:

Beverly
07-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Here's an extensive page on Cryptosporidium:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/cryptosporidiosis/factsht_cryptosporidiosis.htm

Well, now I don't know what I would do with 150g of RO water :eek:

prosnow
07-04-2005, 09:46 PM
well today i plumbed my ro water tank, and am letting the ro unit fill er up right now, i got a small powerhead in there right now, and i'm hoping everything going to go all good, lol