PDA

View Full Version : Turning a 30 gallon tank into a sump/refugium system?

Petcrazy
07-01-2005, 10:39 PM
I have a 30 gallon tank (36"l x16"w x 12"h) beneath my 75 gallon tank (bottom is drilled so no need for an overflow box.).

I've been seeing all these acrylic sump systems that look pretty nice with their numerous compartments and baffles.
Since my 'sump' is just a tank in my stand...I’m feeling like it may need to be spruced up before I set this tank up fully.

I was planning on putting my coralife hood from my 25 gallon over this sump once the tank is running .(Right now the 75 is completely empty) so the 30 gal could be a sump/refugium this way I can support a mandarin if I choose to put one in the 75 once it's established. Among numerous other reasons…(Though I am aware this lighting choice may not be possible)

I was wondering if there was an easy and efficient way to make this tank into a baffled system with nice little sections.
If anyone else on this forum has done this…I'd love to hear their experiences with it.

Is there a site with instructions on how to do this?
Is it even worth all the effort?

I figured that the skimmer and the canopy may cause a few minor difficulties and that’ll have to be figured out, but…that’s another project.

Any suggestions?

(P.S This is the first time I’ve ever had a sump or refugium, so I apologize for being a little dim on this topic.)

Petcrazy
07-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Found something myself

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17192

Though this is just a sump system...not much space for a refugium...
Hmmm...