PDA

View Full Version : Leather question

danny zubot
06-30-2005, 05:40 PM
I got a finger leather frag from Greg (snappy) a couple of weeks ago and it has no polyp extension yet. I found a nice spot for it in a crevace at the bottom of the tank (24 inches) in moderate flow, I have 1 250 watt 14K MH for lighting. It shed a bit when I first put it in the tank, and it isn't sagging anymore. How long will it take before I see some polyps? I think they're supposed to be purple.

christyf5
06-30-2005, 06:00 PM
Patience, Grasshopper. Leathers are finicky creatures. They're also unpredictable. :biggrin:

muck
06-30-2005, 06:05 PM
and dang hard to get rid of.. :frown:

Willow
06-30-2005, 06:09 PM
they can go weeks without opening, then open for a day and hide for weeks again. very annoying. once you leave them alone and they settle down they should stay open most of the time.

danny zubot
06-30-2005, 06:15 PM
Ok, I just thought that it may have been different than my toadstools.

doch
06-30-2005, 10:22 PM
I've found my finger leather to be the weirdest coral I have... water parameters stay the same and lste someone said before, open for a day or 2 and then shrivelled and nasty lookig for weeks.... strange. I pretty much just stopped worrying about it, as it doesn't seem to make any sense and always seems to open up after looking gross. What was a girlfriend of a few months came over and saw it open (apparently for the firts time) and said "Holy crap that one grew a lot since the weekend!!!" I just laughed. Even when open though it doesn't always have polyps on it. Meh, it's still alive!!!!

danny zubot
07-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Ya, it opened up a bit this weekend after shedding some more.