PDA

View Full Version : Ick problem

1bigstud
06-30-2005, 05:30 AM
My regal tang just suddenly sprouted some ick does anyone in the richmond area have a uv sterilizer I could run for awhile??

Thanks alot
Rick.

danny zubot
06-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Let me know if that works for you. I'm currently treating my fish for ick in a Q-tank, I was under the impression that UV sterilizers only worked as a preventative measure.

Willito
06-30-2005, 03:08 PM
I think you're right Danny. UV will help prevent the parasites from spreading by killing things that are passed through it in the current. It won't help fish that are infected already. What I am currently trying on my fish-only tank is hyposalinity. I have 2 fish in a 90g with salinity at 1.016 (with a refractometer) right now and will monitor things for about a week, depending how things go. I dropped the salinity 24 hours ago and have noticed that one of the fish is 70% better than before. Hopefully this will kill most of the parasites and the rest is left to the fish's immune system. If this level works well for the next 4-5 days, I will bump the salinity up to about 1.019 and leave it there for another 7-10 days. Hope this works.

AJ_77
06-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Hey Will, how long did it take you to get down to 1.016? How many points per day is recommended?
I dropped the salinity 24 hours ago and have noticed that one of the fish is 70% better than before.

danny zubot
06-30-2005, 04:17 PM
What is 1.016 in PPT? I have mine sitting at 11 PPT right now which is the recommended 1/3 salinity for ick treatment.

Willito
06-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Wazup Al!
I am not sure what the recommended drop per day is, I just went by feel. Feelly Willy :mrgreen: ! I just monitor the fish's respiration rate.

My first drop went from 1.025 to 1.022.
8 hours later, from 1.022 to 1.019
another 8 hours, from 1.019 to 1.016

Fish are responding well without any visible ill-affect. Respiration and physical activity seems normal. Eating and pooping well. All good signs IMO.

christyf5
06-30-2005, 05:14 PM
Rick,

Try garlic. It worked like a charm for me. You have to be dedicated and feed it every day but by the 2.5 week mark all the ich was gone. I used the Kent Garlic Extreme stuff but you can also use garlic extract from the grocery store.

JMO,

Christy :)

OCDP
06-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Ok I was a big fan of the Garlic when I found out that it could help remove ich.

Well, even if it did... I am now a believer in the QT. Because to feed garlic, your not ridding the tank of the ich. It is still present in the tank, and all's it would take is something big to stress the fish out again , and the ich could esaily come back. I have been feeding garlic to my two clowns that havent really showed any signs of ich in the last week. Just last night I noticed it again, so garlic is not working.

QT the fish and do the hyposalinity, leaving tank fallow for 6+ weeks. That's the plan for my fish when I am back from BC.

doch
06-30-2005, 10:10 PM
I was under the impression that all fish have ich present in them at all times.... no matter what you do. The variable is wether or not they are stong/stress free enough to not let it come out and be active if you will. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Now, I have recently bought a Regal Tang knowing full well that they are prone to ich. I have 3 cleaner shrimp (Fire) and am hoping that if ich does come out that the shrimp will keep it at bay. Am I wrong in hoping for this to be the case, or on the right track? If I'm on the right track, I say buy some cleaner shrimp... cool addition. Either way actually, cool addition, most people that see my tank have the shrimp as one of their favorites!

snailbuddy
07-01-2005, 01:47 AM
My fish had ick . . . I simply added a couple of extra cleaner shrimp and wah-lah! No more ick. Great, pretty, inexpensive solution.

corper
07-01-2005, 02:16 AM
Give your fish a fresh water dip for five to ten minutes, then try putting him in a water only tank with a copper medication. Remember that you need to get rid of the ick in the main tank before you can put him back in or this will just keep happening.

Also, regal tangs get ick all the time, really their is nothing you can do. Garlic is the best way to speed up the process of the fish dropping the ick, but it never really gets rid of the ick. Try cutting down on the ammount of food you are feeding your fish to once a day and every so offten no food for the day. Only alge for the tang. If you have cleaner shrimp, the lack of food in the system will make them clean the fish double time to feed themselves.

I found by doing nothing but cut back the food and just letting nature take its course was the best method. My tang is doing great, no ick for over a month. Best of luck!! :smile:

CP
Vancouver

blood_hound
07-01-2005, 02:58 AM
forget FW dip it will only stress your fish, just do a hyposalinity or copper in a QT and also use garlic.

snailbuddy
07-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Be sure not to use copper with mandarines - it'll kill them

1bigstud
07-02-2005, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the feed back. I have been feeding garlic it seems to be getting better.

danny zubot
07-04-2005, 02:14 PM
I'm over three weeks into hyposalinity treatment and I'm getting ready to re-acclimate the fish. Poor fish have been bored sick for over three weeks now, I will be putting them back into the main tank around the 4 week time. Hopefully it has been long enough, and I think that with garlic feedings and my two cleaner shrimp they will be ok.