PDA

View Full Version : Sumps

digitalsteve
06-30-2005, 01:24 AM
does anyone have plans for a sump , i want to convert a 10g tank to a sump for my 20g as it is getting a little crowded , do i need to use baffles or can i just place a tank underneath the main tank with my skimmer and heater, etc in it... any help would be appreciated

saltynuts
06-30-2005, 02:32 AM
try www.melevsreef.com

digitalsteve
06-30-2005, 03:27 AM
how do you run the water flow system ie pumps and such for a sump? i am not going to drill the main taank , but run the pipes from over the top. the tank is about 3 feet above the sump . what should i use for pumps?

all help is appreciated
steve

Johnny Reefer
06-30-2005, 03:37 AM
If your not going to drill the tank then you need what is called an overflow siphon box. You'll need at least one.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/overflows.php?product_ID=of-cs050
(Not pushing this brand. Included merely for illustrative purposes).

Basically the water is siphoned to the sump and then you have a pump in the sump that pumps the water back to the main tank. Size of overflow and pump depends on size of your system.

Cheers,

digitalsteve
06-30-2005, 04:01 AM
is there anyway of doing it without the siphon box?

Johnny Reefer
06-30-2005, 04:23 AM
is there anyway of doing it without the siphon box?

Not that I'm aware of, other than drilling. If you can get the tank drilled that is your best option 'cause then you eliminate the risk of siphon being lost.

I'm new to this too. I just went through installing a sump 2 weeks ago. I didn't have the option of drilling, practically, so went with two overflow boxes made by "Innovative Aquarium Products". They are in Bremerton , Washington. Bought them through my LFS. I plan on moving in about a year or so and I will definitely get the tank drilled at that time. I believe that is the way to go for sure.

outtafocus
06-30-2005, 04:25 AM
Just dont use those CPR overflow boxes.
They have a tendancy to lose siphon (so I have read)

Life reef or amiracle are ones to look for.

Johnny Reefer
06-30-2005, 04:30 AM
Just dont use those CPR overflow boxes.
They have a tendancy to lose siphon (so I have read)

Life reef or amiracle are ones to look for.

I've heard that about CPR too. Sorry about posting that link to a CPR above. That was dumb. If the guys who make the ones I have had a website I woulda posted that link, but they don't. They should! :smile: They'd probably sell more!! :biggrin:

Cheers,

Willow
06-30-2005, 05:54 AM
or just drill your tank and be done with crappy overflow boxes.

Johnny Reefer
06-30-2005, 06:14 AM
or just drill your tank and be done with crappy overflow boxes.

Kinda hard when it's full of water and live rock and aragonite and fish and inverts and corals.

Cheers,

digitalsteve
06-30-2005, 06:34 AM
thats pretty much teh issue i am having

Static
06-30-2005, 08:11 AM
You can make an overflow....

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59751&highlight=overflow

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/overflow.htm

danny zubot
06-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Consider that an over flow is very similar to a toilet, with plumbing present to regulate the hight in the bowl. Another trick is to attach an air line to the top of the U tube and to a power head. This will remove any trapped air bubbles so that the siphon is not lost.