PDA

View Full Version : am I ready for an anemone?

jess128
06-28-2005, 06:03 PM
I'd really like an anemone, just wondering if my tank can handle one. I've got a 67gal, 60lbs LR. The tank's been running since the end of last October. After the cycle I've never had any fluctuations in the water conditions. Ammonia, Nitrate, and nitrite are all 0, pH is 8.0, SG 1.024. I currently have 2 perc clowns and a yellow tang. I just have 2 frags, no other corals. So will an anemone thrive in my tank?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Your tank should be ready at 8 months & stable. How's your lighting though? (very high PC or MH really) Anemones have high lighting requirements. Would recommend that you look for a tank-raised clone from another reefer rather than a wild-harvested from a LFS because clones tend to do better than wild-caughts. What species are you looking at? LTAs & BTAs tend to be the easiest clownfish hosting anemones to keep.

JME & JMO,

Anthony

forde_11
06-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Yeah you should be good to go as long as you have good lights. I have heard of people putting them in much sooner and having them thrive, so I say go for it.

jess128
06-28-2005, 10:10 PM
I've got PC lighting, 2 actacids and 2 10000K. I was thinking a BTA, I'll look around for a tank-bred one rather than wild caught. Any ideas where I'd find one of those?

muck
06-28-2005, 10:15 PM
I've got PC lighting, 2 actacids and 2 10000K. I was thinking a BTA, I'll look around for a tank-bred one rather than wild caught. Any ideas where I'd find one of those?
Try posting a want ad in the buy/sell.. :mrgreen:

danny zubot
06-28-2005, 10:15 PM
So two 10k and two actinic in a 36 inch light? That would be 96 watts x4 bulbs right? 384 watts should be enough for BTAs or even a sebae.

muck
06-28-2005, 10:21 PM
...or even a sebae.

You do realize those can grow to 20" across.
I don't think PC lights would cut it for it either.

IMO the only anemone that can be housed relatively well under PCs would be a BTA.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-28-2005, 10:22 PM
96w PC are pretty good, especially impressed with Panasonic bulbs. But it they're 65w bulbs, those don't really give very intense lighting I find. Could you post tank size & light wattage. Also, the 10000k is great but the actinic is sorta useful but more for aesthetic appeal so I wouldn't count on the actinics to add too much towards the light total.

Anthony

Gizmo
06-28-2005, 10:36 PM
I'm at about the same timeframe and conditions for my tank, are the rose tips easy to take care of under MH?

trilinearmipmap
06-28-2005, 11:06 PM
I don't agree with getting an anemone now.

It is not so much the time frame but the amount of corals you have in your tank.

I would suggest getting some more experience with different types of coral. Make some mistakes with various corals and learn from them, the way we all learn by experience. Then when a few more months have gone by an anemone will be easy to take care of.

I got an RBTA too early, it crawled down my drainpipe and died in the sump. Then after waiting several more months I got an RBTA in December which is thriving now.

When you do get an anemone I strongly suggest a BTA which is generally acknowledged to be the most hardy anemone. IMO other types of anemones are best left to anemone experts.

jess128
06-28-2005, 11:27 PM
The lights are 48". I have 260W total. I'd deffinately get a BTA. Tri, what kind of corals do you think I should get before the BTA?

vertex
06-29-2005, 12:18 AM
jessica,

I have a 33g setup since Sept and I added a RBTA in December and it has done just great under 2x96W corlife PC lighting.

I think it is the easiest of all my corals since it will actively take food (mysis shrimp) as long as you have good water parametes and strong lighting. Mine has split twice and I now have FOUR of these guys. Two very small ones as they got ripped apart by a HOB suction tube. (They grew back though fine after 1-2 weeks)

MAKE SURE you block all intake tubes and powerheads as they will find them and get sucked through otherwise.

I would also recommend, leather corals, mushrooms, maybe some zooanthids, candy cane coral, yellow/green polyps, brain, xenia/tree coral. I have all of these now and have lost nothing but one hammer coral.

Good luck!

trilinearmipmap
06-29-2005, 04:35 AM
Jessica I am just suggesting trying a range of different corals before getting a BTA so that you get experience.

Probably good to start with soft corals and then a few LPS.

EmilyB
06-29-2005, 04:51 AM
A sebae is one of the most demanding of light anemones that I have owned, and yes, they get GIGANTIC. I would never recommend one for the average aquarium. :eek:

Your perc clowns may/may not host in the anemone you pick, that is always the unknown.

There's nothing difficult about a bta if you have light and make sure all intakes are screened... :mrgreen: Once they settle they stay unless you make a dramatic change.

doch
06-30-2005, 01:32 AM
I set my 90 up in December, and put RBTA #1 in it about 4 months after. I lost #1 for seemingly no reason (but found out the reason later). I put #2 in about a month and a half later and had the same problems for the first little while but did more water testing... specifically dual pH test (ie. AM and PM) and found a large swing in my pH between tests. This was causing a VERY unhappy anemone (well, 2 actually) # 2 survived, but only after I buffered my pH up to 8.3, and threw some caulerpa and a light in my sump at night to reduce the swing in pH. Once this was under control, and ever since it has been doing fine. I must say, it is the most stressful animal I have out of the 40+ corals, fish, and inverts... by far the most stressful.... but still one of my favorite additions. Long story short, test your pH before buying... AM and PM, and get the swing that may be there under control before adding an anemone.

Chaloupa
07-01-2005, 07:16 PM
I set up my 65 hex in Sept....then I cycled it, and added 2 RBTA about 2.5 months later. My lighting was pathetic...only 2 regular fluorescent bulbs....and my water quality...not so good, I was very very new to the hobby...my LFS told me they were easy to keep and didn't require good lighting.....but these were some very determined to live anemones....I lucked out, knowing what I do now, I would NEVER have bought them when I did......have upgraded my lighting hugely, my water quality is excellent, and now I have 4 RBTA....hmmmm hopefully not 12 in the next few years....as I do want more corals....but I lucked out...most don't, be careful and considerate to these animals! And choose wisely.....

Beverly
07-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Long story short, test your pH before buying... AM and PM, and get the swing that may be there under control before adding an anemone.

Along with testing pH, test for and adjust alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. Here are the calculators and reading material you need to get started :biggrin: :

Aquarium System Volume Calculator:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/volcalc.html

The Reef Chemistry Calculator:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

Magnesium in Reef Aquaria:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2003/chem.htm

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

High pH: Causes and Cures:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.htm