PDA

View Full Version : rookie sump questions

Snappy
06-28-2005, 05:50 AM
I am now at the stage where I need to add a sump to my 130 gallon. My tank has an overflow box and is drilled for that application. I want to plumb it for an over the glass return and want to hook up my 30 gal refugem/species tank in line with the same system for my 130. Any suggestions? I have some room underneath the main tank for the sump but am at a bit of a loss on how to proceed. I only have room for a sump about 18" x 36" x 24". Is that big enough? What is the best medium? Live sand with a live rock or two? Add in some baffles? I do also want to put my skimmer in there? Should it have a light? Glass tank or plastic tub? etc.
Thanks,

Bryan
06-28-2005, 06:33 AM
First thing to consider is whether the sump will hold the water volume from the overflows when the power goes out.

danny zubot
06-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Hey Greg, The sump dimensions you listed comes to 65 gallons, I think it should be good for that tank. I wouldn't put any crushed coral in the sump, from my experience its just a big hassle. It gets into your pumps and creates a big detritus trap. Plus you will have the inline refugium already. Baffles are a good idea to cut down on the micro bubbles, Most people use an over under over (three baffle) design to achieve this. A lot of people place life rock, or rubble (from Wais) which is really good for added bio filtration and pod spawning.

My philosophy is to keep the sump as simple as possible because if it gets too complex, it becomes a real pain to work on.