PDA

View Full Version : any one know this anemone?

medic_eva
06-27-2005, 06:15 AM
is it even an anemone? there are two types on this piece of rock, one almost looks like the rock flower anemone (i think it's called that) and i have no idea how to do the pic thing, no matter how many times i read it.

link:
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3223

thanks!!!

eva

Beermaster
06-27-2005, 06:36 AM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1720anemones.jpg

medic_eva
06-27-2005, 06:37 AM
thanks master of the beer!

mr_alberta
06-27-2005, 02:09 PM
According to my handy dandy Marine Invertebrates book, the small one on the left almost looks like a Actinodendron species (aka Hellfire Anemone :eek:) (pg 98). The one on the right could be a rose bubble tip without the bubbly tips. Those are my guesses.

danny zubot
06-27-2005, 03:23 PM
I'd say RBTA for the big on too, only the disk area is a bit darker than usual.

medic_eva
06-27-2005, 04:56 PM
really, a RBTA? sweet. was attactched to a rock of zoos my friend bought, now for me to take it out of his tank and get it in mine!
thanks for looking them up harv, and thanks for the second opinion danny!

OCDP
06-27-2005, 04:59 PM
I'm not sure about RBTA... I personally am not sure what type of anemone it is.. but I don't think it's an RBTA.. coloration is just not the same...

medic_eva
06-27-2005, 05:02 PM
hmm well if anyone has any other ideas about the RBTA/non-RBTA, i'd love to hear them! thanks!

eva

OCDP
06-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Me too haha.. sorry I am not much of a help with the ID , hopefully someone comes along and figures it out!

medic_eva
06-27-2005, 05:19 PM
s'all good ocdp! i'd rather know for sure what it is, just so i know whether or not it's worth stealing from his tank :lol:

EmilyB
06-27-2005, 07:12 PM
It almost looks like majano, but it's the wrong color. :confused:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-27-2005, 07:30 PM
The majano I've had/seen look like little Green BTA.

Anthony

medic_eva
06-27-2005, 08:12 PM
ou i think you two hit it on the head, i found a pic of the exact same looking anemone on another site, and it's definately an Anemonia Anemone which is the manjo speicies or something. i dunno how it's classified, but yah, definately a manjo.
here's the link if anyone is interested, they have lots of pics of pretty anemones that are actually bad for your tank! not bad, but pests. not as bad as aptasia though! woohoo!

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anemoniafaqs.htm

doch
06-30-2005, 10:17 PM
I JUST heard about the Majano Anemone yesterday, and from what I was told they are worse than aiptasia... spread faster, harder to kill, and stronger sting.... maybe my source has his head somewher it shouldn't be though... If you know what I mean!!! hehehe

medic_eva
06-30-2005, 10:47 PM
hey, thanks for the info! i dunno, everyone hears something different. too bad the ones in the my friends tank are pretty. oh well. DIE DIE DIE :2gunfire:

doch
06-30-2005, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't count them out right away... the one in the pic doesn't look like the one that I saw. How big is it?

Funky_Fish14
06-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Just in regards to majano annemones:

I have had several in my tank, and still have one that I've had since I set-up the tank, he likes to move around. Another one just showed up near it a few days ago(big one, so its been moving around). They have been all over the place in my tank and havent done any damage to any of my corals, and Joe's Juice kills them with one tiny shot of it.....wherease I've only ever killed one aiptasia with Joe's Juice and I've tried at least a dozen.

Im just leaving the majanos in there.....they look funny and have yet to cause problems.

Chris

medic_eva
06-30-2005, 11:38 PM
I wouldn't count them out right away... the one in the pic doesn't look like the one that I saw. How big is it?

there are soooooo many different variations of those anemones. if you click on the link i posted a while back it shows the pic in the top right corner, and it looks exact same as the one in my friends tank. my understanding is that they can be harmful to a stupid fish who gets up close to it. really bad sting.