PDA

View Full Version : New House Plans

Gizmo
06-26-2005, 11:43 PM
Hey all,

Thought I would share the process I'm going through for getting my aquaria designed for my new acreage. This is the drawing from the architect for the room. http://www.syberdyne.ca/canreef/layout.jpg
or if its hard to read here, www.syberdyne.ca/canreef/layout.jpg

Edit: Eeeep :eek: I didnt realize it would be so big :D

So anyway I'll post some specs when I get back.

muck
06-27-2005, 12:02 AM
Holey logjams Batman!! That looks crazy..!! :eek: :eek:

Beverly
06-27-2005, 12:29 AM
One heck of a set up :eek: :biggrin: :cool: I would move the gas fireplace away from the tank, though. I'd be concerned about the heat from the fireplace affecting the tank.

What's the water like at your acreage? Is it well water or town water?

Gizmo
06-27-2005, 03:10 AM
The fireplace will be in a firerated enclosure completely, so the room won't be affected by it. I am getting a cistern (sP?) put in w/ trucked in water from Sherwood Park. The storage containers should hold enough RO/DI to do waterchanges without great strain on the system. I am also installing Geothermal heating for the house, so I've been talking with the mechanical engineer about putting an exchanger in the room to heat and cool the tanks as nessesary. :D

mark
06-27-2005, 03:29 AM
Currently building a house as well and leaning towards a in-wall fireplace type tank, similiar to AI. Definitely scaled way down from 2016gal and 785gal though.

Majestic_Aquariums
07-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Looks like a great plan to work with! Keep us posted on how the construction goes!

littlesilvermax
07-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Looks pretty awesome, that is the sort of thing I would love to do. I am not a huge fan of predator tanks, so I would likely make the reef tank bigger (especially wider 4 foot width is awesome in reef tanks)

I would make the predator tank not so deep, keep the footprint, and make it into a reef. I would then make the reef tank deeper and have it the predator tank.

I am not sure if you are looking for suggestions, but I have a few more. :biggrin:

Width in a predator tank is overated IMO. Of course it depends what you want in there. I large grouper might need the space. I can just see the triggers hiding now. :mrgreen:

A geothermal system sounds awesome, the best choice. I would have a dedicated HRV for the fish room though. You could have a couple of inputs for the HRV that suck air from a custom hood built over the tanks kind of like a stove hood in the kitchen.

Keep us updated, and remember the pics.

Gizmo
07-12-2005, 01:37 PM
The room will have its own HVAC system, so I'm not worried about evap, it is also sealed from the rest of the house.
I'll keep you all posted. Right now its in the architects hands.

littlesilvermax
07-12-2005, 01:59 PM
Will the HVAC include an air exchanger? I would recommend at least 300-400 CFM unit. If you need more info on them let me know, required for a large tank in Canada IMO. By large I mean 200 Gallon + for your tank I would say a absolutely necessary. :biggrin:

Gizmo
07-13-2005, 02:11 AM
Yes it will have a fresh air exchanger.

littlesilvermax
07-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Good. I would go with a large one. Many engineers (In my experience) underestimate the amount of moisture and heat a real reef system can create.

Look forward to many updates. :biggrin:

mr_alberta
07-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Wow, those are some big tanks. How are you going to light the reef tank? What are you planning for flow?

Gizmo
07-13-2005, 11:31 PM
I haven't worked out the exact specs of the lighting and flow yet. The predator tank doesn't require more than say 3 400W MH's however the Reef will need a nice sized bank of them to keep that lit to the right depth. The outlet in the 2000 will be a 4" 90 cupped upwards at the top of the tank, the inlet is a 2.5" so I just have to find a pump that will circ that effciently. I'm thinking the 1000 will have the entire back of the tank as the overflow allowing me to install all the 2" drains that I need. I'm not worried about sound because of the seperate room structure, so I could sound like niagra in there :D

littlesilvermax
07-14-2005, 06:09 AM
I would recommend a couple linear light movers like I have used. You can find them on my thread on RC about my 250. (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=414183&perpage=25&pagenumber=35)

snaggle
12-02-2005, 06:10 PM
any update on the new house?

Brad

Gizmo
12-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Nothing much as of yet. I've had to switch architects so we are basically restarting the process. :evil: But the room should stay the same. I'm currenty trying to source all the materials I'm going to need.

KrazyKuch
12-02-2005, 09:41 PM
wow thats amazing...I must come over when its done....If you need help hocking up the tanks let me know!!!

Lofus
12-16-2005, 03:54 AM
Out of curiosity, how does geothermal heating work?

Gizmo
12-17-2005, 06:14 PM
http://tristate.apogee.net/geo/home.asp

Funky_Fish14
12-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Jeremy, this looks like a fantastic project! I cant wait to see this complete!

Just wondering if you've started construction of the hosue yet or not? Where-abouts is your acreage? I saw a house southeast of Leduc/Edmonton that is getting geothermal heating installed, hehe.

Thank-you for sharing!

Chris

Gizmo
12-17-2005, 10:14 PM
We are hoping to break ground in the spring. That is if we ever get design finished :S We are hoping to get in east of sherwood park, probably around ardrossan.

Ruth
12-17-2005, 10:44 PM
That is going to be an fantastic set up. I will have to arrange a tank tour before you start charging admission. I am sure that you have done your research but there is a good thread on Reef Frontiers about a 750g tank that is very interesting to follow as he has been very detailed in his setup and as it has been running for a while now some of the pitfalls he has run into.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5253&highlight=750g+tank

Murminator
12-18-2005, 02:20 AM
We are hoping to get in east of sherwood park, probably around ardrossan.
Woooo bring money my boss sold off 2 acres just off RR 220 & Wye on Dec 1 right where your talking. He got $219,000 dense bush/swamp power to property line no water/sewer. 2 days to sell 3 offers little PO'd that he didn't ask more. So the best advice is to start looking now and hope you you don't get taken cause everybody will pay anything to move out there.
Good luck and start the homework now :D

Gizmo
12-18-2005, 05:57 AM
Yea, we are looking at something out a bit farther, so the price isn't such a kick in the junk. Plus, farther out I go, less light pollution so I can set up my scope too :D When we are done, I'll have to host a reefer party then.

Murminator
12-18-2005, 06:18 AM
Yeah baby It will have to be an evening party so we can scope the stars :D