PDA

View Full Version : Is this garlic ok?

OCDP
06-26-2005, 11:38 PM
I picked up some garlic for the food.. just making sure this is ok to use (assuming it is) it's a co-op brand garlic oil caps, so I just puncture the cap and put it on the food right ? It sais rich in allicin .. not sure what that is.

Snappy
06-27-2005, 12:07 AM
I am guessing you should be fine, however an easier and no mess way is to buy a product called garlic guard. Most LFS will have it and it is pure garlic extract in a liquid form.

OCDP
06-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Cool.. well I just fed . Couldn't tell if they enjoyed it any more than any other meal.. they gobbled it up though :biggrin:

fishguyxd
06-27-2005, 02:58 AM
what are you using garlic for :question:
I have only briefly heard about this before.
:smile:

takphan
06-27-2005, 05:05 AM

to boost the immune system

EmilyB
06-27-2005, 08:11 AM
It's best not to use anything oily...so go easy.

Kent Garlic Extreme costs a bit, but lasts forever. :biggrin:

adidas
06-27-2005, 02:41 PM

to boost the immune system

and it helps to get fish eating if the are picky eaters..they like garlic aparently.

danny zubot
06-27-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm too cheep to buy aditives specifically made for fish. I make my own. Take a couple of cloves of fresh galic and mince it, place it in a sealable jar with RODI water and shake. Keep it in the fridge, and use a bit at a time for soaking the food. :smile:

OCDP
06-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Hm, it all has to be the same stuff generally.. it's all garlic extract, just in different forms . I could have bought it in a pill form and would have had to crush it ,etc... maybe the reef companies like Kent put some type of additives in ? Who knows....

EmilyB
06-27-2005, 07:31 PM
Actually the active ingredient in garlic is destroyed several hours after smashing the cloves.

Kent has refined the product to 98% allicin. It is very potent stuff. :biggrin:

OCDP
06-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Ohhh ok ok gotcha!

The bottle of gel caps I have says "rich in acillin"

danny zubot
06-27-2005, 07:38 PM
How do you mean destroyed? If it is kept in a water solution shouldn't the active ingredients in the solution still soak into the food?

Anyway, regardless of active ingredients, the fish can still smell the garlic and really enjoy eating the food. I think it still helps as an appitite stimulant.

OCDP
06-27-2005, 07:59 PM
I will continue feeding garlic every day now... then once and if I think things are ok.. I will cut back a bit. If it's good for the fish then I mine as well add a little to their food each time... if there's no harm in doing so?

fishguyxd
06-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Well seeing where on the food topic what types of homemade brews are reefers using or commerial types for fish ,invert,coral,etc

Willow
06-28-2005, 01:12 AM
jezz you guys are cheap bastages, 15 bucks worth kent extreme will last you years!

ref leppard
06-28-2005, 01:29 AM
Willow you sure get to point! :razz:

EmilyB
06-28-2005, 04:59 AM
jezz you guys are cheap bastages, 15 bucks worth kent extreme will last you years!

Maybe why they are always posting in the disease forum.... :rolleyes:

Willow
06-28-2005, 06:53 AM
im not following you emily.

OCDP
06-28-2005, 02:48 PM
me either? :neutral:

Johnny Reefer
06-28-2005, 03:08 PM

Maybe why they are always posting in the disease forum.... :rolleyes:

I don't mean to speak for Emily but I think she means the cheaps that don't buy the Kent Extreme end up having diseases and then post about it.

Cheers,

Willow
06-28-2005, 03:41 PM
that make sense.

OCDP
06-28-2005, 03:58 PM
I have heard people having just as good success with say Garlic oil gelcaps... which is really similar, extract. Bahh.... to me, it's just slapping a brand name on the bottle and saying "our garlic is better" because they are a reputable reefing company. Not saying it doesn't work... I would just think they are fairly similar. So why exactly am I such a cheap bastage? To use a 10$ bottle of Garlic Oil gel caps that will last me just as long as a $15 bottle of Kent Garlic Xtreme.

Meh! In the long run.... it's just garlic.

danny zubot
06-28-2005, 04:26 PM
I personally have never used garlic up until a few weeks ago when my fish had already contracted ick. They ate regardless, so I was just using it to see if it helped. Do you think that the fresh garlic I use killed my lionfish?

OCDP
06-28-2005, 04:29 PM
I read on RC somewhere that some people had more success using finely, finely minced garlic.. and some say it made it worse (fish already infected) .. so I personally couldn't tell you, maybe someone else.

There is actually some really good reads on RC about garlic, etc. etc... have you already read that? Or would you like me to find the link?

BCOrchidGuy
06-28-2005, 05:08 PM
I'm with Emily, Garlic Extreme works fantastic. Just don't drop the bottle on the floor (hard to get rid of that smell).

Danny, I'm not sure that the garlic you used would have killed your lionfish however garlic is one of those things that goes rancid really quickly. Storing it even in RO water may have caused a bacteria bloom of some sort, not off the RO water but the Garlic may have had a bacteria or a fungi etc. Prepared suppliments and medications are probably the best way to go, home made foods are always good but anything with oils can give you issues unless it's kept frozen until you are ready to use it.

Just my two cents worth.

Doug