PDA

View Full Version : FRIGGIN AIPTASIA!!

doch
06-26-2005, 08:13 PM
So, going by what I've read on the site so far blasting the buggers with boiling water is the best way to get rid of them. All this does for me is causes 2 to grow where one was, and kills the coraline that was around the aiptasia. Anyone have any better ideas? They're not around any corals yet, and not ****ing anyone off... except me, but I'd like to getthem under control before they become a problem! GRRRR!

Johnny Reefer
06-26-2005, 09:36 PM
Two words:
Joe's Juice.

Johnny Reefer
06-26-2005, 09:44 PM
Two words:
Joe's Juice.
Oh ya, and Lysmata wurdemanni. They'll eat the small ones only, though. So, Joe's Juice for the bigger ones.

Skimmerking
06-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Peppermint shrimp will get them and copperband 's will do the same.

mike

i use kalk on them, but you should take the rock out and then kalk it to death.\

doch
06-26-2005, 11:27 PM
So, all of the ones that I can see are no bigger than maybe 3/8" in diamter... pep shrimp will eat those? What are those shrimp worth?

Skimmerking
06-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Hey there Doch i have has good sucess with peppermints they are around 10 dollars each . .pretty cheap.

mike

pelle31
06-27-2005, 12:44 AM
I had a schwack of those pesky things awhile back got 2 peppermints and poof within 2 weeks no Aptasia!! They worked like a dream for me.
Good luck!

doch
06-27-2005, 01:13 AM
You know, it's just too bad that they aren't all that pretty of a shrimp! Why can't my fire shrimp mow down on them? If they were a nicer looking shrimp that would have been my first attack on the pesky aiptasia. What are the pepermints like personality-wise? do the have a lot of character or are they reclusive (like my Fire shrimp)?

Skimmerking
06-27-2005, 01:38 AM
peppermint shrimp are like cleaners get one you dont see it very often get 4-5 and they will come out most of the time.

but they are pretty shy. with peppermints and cleaners mixed they do come out. But the peppermints do eat the stuff.

Matt
06-27-2005, 04:08 AM
I've had good success with the boiling water; I used a small-guage hypodermic to deliver it right into the perch. I had a single aiptasia that was quite small for a long time, and no new growth. Then my coral banded shrimp was sold out of the tank, and suddenly I had four of them growing quite large. The boiling water zapped 'em good, with no regrowth. Of course, YMMV. I've come to believe that the CBS was pruning them.

Matthew

Petcrazy
07-01-2005, 07:53 PM
I just used lemon extract on mine and it worked wonders.
Someone else told me to kalk bomb them..aka make a little paste like ball and drop it into their 'mouth' and let them pull it into their hiding place with them. Essentially poisoning them...

vertex
07-01-2005, 08:43 PM
I read from someone else somewhere that you can get em with a bit of vinegar into their "stock". I have done this with 3 so far by injecting with a small needed into their base and hitting em with just a tiny amount. None came back...