PDA

View Full Version : What size of the sump tank should I use???

jiliguala
06-26-2005, 08:04 AM
Hello everyone,
I just got a 178 gal tank.
I've never kept a tank as big as this before and I really do'nt have any idea how big the sump tank should be.

There's a 20 gal standard tank sitting in my garage and I think this tank might be eligible for the job......

What do you guys think??? Should I use any thing bigger???

Aquattro
06-26-2005, 08:30 AM
Your sump needs to be able to hold any over flow from your tank when the power goes off. I don't think the 20 will cut it. I'd probably look for at least a 45g sump

Skimmerking
06-26-2005, 02:37 PM
A 20 would work actually there Brad. when you make your return back from your sum to the tank. have the return line with a small hole just above the water line to break the siphon.

and then the over flow with the stand pipe, a little lower than the water line. It's working for me.

just make sure the return lines on the tank have the holes drilled to break the siphon. You can have many return pipes on the tank as long as they have the holes drilled VERY important.

mike

Gools
06-26-2005, 04:20 PM
I have a 30 gallon sump, on my 180, but is only filled half full. Like Mike said have that hole in your return to break the syphon, and you will be fine. Just make sure to clean it every so often, mine gets clogged with algae, and a pock with a toothpick clears it out

mr_alberta
06-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Just make sure that the tank is large enough to accomodate all of the water in your pipes as well as your skimmer + however much drains from your tank until those siphon break holes break the siphon.

Skimmerking
06-26-2005, 06:13 PM
good point there Harvey, with my 62 gal in the dining room and the sump in the basement. I have a 45 gal sump for the back bleed of the water.

Aquattro
06-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Just make sure that the tank is large enough to accomodate all of the water in your pipes as well as your skimmer + however much drains from your tank until those siphon break holes break the siphon.

Exactly my point. I don't think a 20 is big enough. No harm in trying I guess, but bigger would be better, IMO.

Skimmerking
06-26-2005, 06:49 PM
Brad i wasnt saying that you were wrong, just saying that yoiu can have a smaller sump if you have the right tracks covered.

If you sump is in the basement yes by all means have a bigger sump . If the sump is in the cabinet, you can go with a smaller tank in the bottom.

mike

Jaws
06-26-2005, 08:01 PM
It depends on your lighting and evaporation too. You don't want too small of a sump or else the evaporation factor will keep you topping off the water every day. IMO.

Skimmerking
06-26-2005, 08:07 PM
true unless you have a auto topp off liek a kent float switch, of a tunze topp off.