PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a pic of my tank

Aquattro
02-21-2002, 05:07 AM
http://www.islandreef.ca/tank.jpg

[ 21 February 2002: Message edited by: Reef_Raf ]</p>

Canadian
02-21-2002, 01:44 PM
Brad, looks good! And that's pretty good plating of coralline on the back wall of the tank for MH lighting! Now you have to find space for the nursery of frags you have sitting on your sand bed...time to set up another tank! images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Aquattro
02-21-2002, 02:37 PM
I'm moving in a month so I don't want to permanently attach the farm in the front until after the move. Also, a couple are just being held for other people.
As for the corraline, even my valonia has turned purple. Anyone need some corraline algae?

DJ88
02-21-2002, 02:52 PM
Get used to the coralline Brad.. once you throw those 400s on I bet at least some of it does a disappearing act. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Tho it sure looks good. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

nice tank.

Aquattro
02-21-2002, 02:54 PM
Darren, since upgrading to the 400s, it's gotten worse..or better, depending how you look at it images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

DJ88
02-21-2002, 02:55 PM
They are already on???? images/smiles/icon_smile.gif SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!

Acro
02-21-2002, 07:22 PM
Brad, Looks great. How far are you moving? I wish you luck on the move. As for the corraline growth was curiuos as to what your water change maintance is and if you add iodine. Also how long has the reactor been inline for now. Has this effected the corraline growth?
Thanks Jamie

Aquattro
02-21-2002, 07:51 PM
Jamie, thanks for the compliment. I'm only moving about a mile and I have a whole day dedicated to just the tank. I also have some of the guys here over to help.
The corraline started shortly after setting up the tank last July and has taken off ever since. It gets so thick that chunks fall off regularly from the weight. The reactor has only been running a couple of weeks, but I see no effect either way on the coralline. I change about 10 gallons every week; two weeks at the most. I have only recently added a bit of iodine, but not enough to say I dose it. More to see any effect it had on some sagging xenia (which it didn't). I have been using CaOH as top-off water. I pre-mix 6 tsp. of kalk with about 80ml of vinegar. I add this solution to 5g of top-off RO water.
I'm hoping the reactor eliminates the need for this, although the occasional use of kalk may help PO4 reduction.
I swear if te coralline gets any worse/better, the corals will turn purple from it images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Overall, I'm happy with the way the tank is going. The frags I got from you are growing like weeds, especially the pink monti and the A. millipora (which is now turning pink). I'll try and get some close up shots of these frags.

Acro
02-22-2002, 08:32 PM
Brad,
Intresting, Thanks for the answers. People have been talking about the effect of mh lighting on corraline for some time. I personally feel it's more of a water chemistry issue. I would say, the fact that your doing frequent water changes is playing a large part in your success with the algae. That kind of maintance takes dedication. Keep up the good work. I personally am expermenting with 20 gal changes every week with good results to date. Now time will tell if I can keep up to this regiment through summer. I have just ordered a piggy back ro to add to my current system to help address the time it takes to make the water.
Jamie

Aquattro
02-22-2002, 08:45 PM
Jamie, I agree. I had good growth in my 45g trigger tank with no supplements and only 2 NO tubes. This reef has gone from 1 175w/10k to 2 of these and now has dual 400w/10k. None of these lighting changes have affected the corraline.
As for water, I live about 3 minutes from a specialty water store so if I forgot to fire up the RO unit, I can just buy some as required.