PDA

View Full Version : cleaner VS clam

Skimmerking
06-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Well I have noticed that one of my cleaners are picking at one of the Crocea clams that i have. I have moved the clam thinkign he would leave it alone and a few days later he's picking at it again.

Talked to Doug and he tells me that it may be dying that is why the cleaners are at it . SO i have be debating of moving it but is there another reason why the cleaners would be picking at it. Maybe there is some thing that me and doug have over looked.

any ideas.

mike

Delphinus
06-26-2005, 01:34 AM
I would tend to agree with Doug, that I would think they would not be picking on an otherwise healthy clam. If though say it's a new clam, maybe it's just a little stressed from the move, and needs to settle in, then of course on top of that being harrassed isn't going to help things much.

If you think the clam looks like it is not liking the extra attention then it may be worthwhile temporarily separating them. I don't know how exactly, putting eggcrate around the clam probably won't work since shrimp are nothing if not persistent and certainly won't let a piece of plastic stop them. Housing them somewhere else (sump? if it's safe that is) or another tank or one of those breeder things.

But, if it looks like the clam doesn't really mind, it could just be that the shrimp is picking at stuff on the shell (mine would sometimes do that to my clams). You could tell the clam didn't mind since it never reacted.

So I guess, watch closely and see how the clam seems to be reacting. If it's well enough as is then I'd leave it be. Intervention, at least I've found, usually only makes things worse for me. I've learnt over time to just "leave it alone" sometimes. :lol:

EmilyB
06-26-2005, 01:35 AM
Cleaners don't bother healthy clams at all. Is it possible something else in your tank is harassing the clam and making it slime?

shotzee
06-26-2005, 03:54 AM
I had noticed my shrimp picking at my new crocea clam and freaked out a little because for 1 it wasn't a cheap clam and 2 I was worried it might be dying. But after watching a bit it was obvious that the shrimp was just picking at the edges of the shell and was leaving the mantle alone.

I recently had a snail dying on me and knew it was dying. My shrimp never touched it until was pratically dead. I figure they won't bother other organisms until they know they can get a safe meal (= pretty much dead).

Rory

Doug
06-26-2005, 02:04 PM
Cleaners don't bother healthy clams at all. Is it possible something else in your tank is harassing the clam and making it slime?

Good point Deb. Mike, you said it now looks healthy otherwise. If it was dying, it would likely be gone already.

Hmm, maybe the flame is a bad boy.

Skimmerking
06-26-2005, 02:30 PM
I have watched all day from a distance and the Flame has not gone near it.

mike :question: