PDA

View Full Version : Hovercraft Fish

Chaloupa
06-23-2005, 12:34 AM
Hey all-anyone have any information on "Hovercraft fish"? I just want care etc of them...I know they are a boxfish...but that is all I know...any help would be appreciated.

scotchy
06-23-2005, 09:56 AM
If we are both thinking of the same fish, it's a helmet cowfish. Go to www.cowfish.com it should answer most of your questions.

Scott

Bob I
06-23-2005, 08:37 PM
your link points to a tee shirt selling site :eek: .

christyf5
06-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Try this one:

http://www.cowfishes.com/helmet.html

Christy :)

bulletsworld
06-23-2005, 11:20 PM
Hey all-anyone have any information on "Hovercraft fish"? I just want care etc of them...I know they are a boxfish...but that is all I know...any help would be appreciated.

Hi Chaloupa,

WoOHOOO! :multi: You are inquiring about my favourite fish. It’s known to have the name, Humpback Boxfish, Camelback Cowfish, Thornback cowfish, Hovercraft but most known as the "Helmet Cowfish" called so many names, hey. :lol: The species name is Tetrasomus gibbosus for more detailed info on your search. The cowfish site is a great place for info.

Also here is a current thread on this topic about cowfish. Also goes into great detail what tank conditions they need & the much debated issue with cowfish and why more people don't house them. Check it out. http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17431&start=0

These fish are truly amazing to keep. :biggrin: I currently have a baby one in my reef tank, that is quite the character. I did have another I had for almost two years before I lost it to parasite outbreak of Velvet. :sad: But there are just wonderful, personable fish to keep. That will come to the glass and stare back at you as to say, “Yes, and you want?” or their so curious to know what you’re doing… Like all the other fish will scatter in hiding when I go to aquascape (rearrange rocks) but nope, this Helmet cowfish must know what your doing, will circle around your arm, look down to see what your grabbing. Also you will be fascinated to see if you were to drip a droplet of water on the glass front and it runs down, you will be amazed to see this fish watch the drop run down and even follow it down as it drops. Very cool to see them do this, but it’s just a great example of how in tune this fish is to its surroundings. Once it gets used to you of course. It take’s a little bit for the Helmet to gain your trust but if you don’t move fast around it, target feed it from the other fish so it doesn’t fight for food, its your buddy in no time. :wink: Not to mention not to may of these fish come in the trade that often for sale so when someone comes over to my place, the first thing they say is usually, "What kinda fish is that!" :mrgreen:

Key to getting the cowfish is the right tank conditions (no heavy flow, their no good swimmers), right tank mates that won't harass this fish & also to be careful to pick a healthy Helmet as they are prone to be the first to get Ick or other parasite infections only if exposed and because they are scaleless fish (a hard shell - no scales) they are limited to treatment options & very sensitive to treatments.

If you have any questions...fire away I would be happy to answer them.

:smilecol:

bulletsworld
06-24-2005, 01:12 AM
Thought since there is not a lot of pictures of Helmet Cowfish I would include some of mine.

Here is my baby Helmet Cowfish named Macchiato. :mrgreen:

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/844Macchiato_in_reef-med.jpg

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/844cowfish_the_reef_2.jpg

ENJOY! :mrgreen:

Chaloupa
06-24-2005, 05:31 AM
Very very cool little fish. I see them at a FS that isn't overly "local" and LOVE them. I really love the cowfish and the boxfish too. We were pretty freaked out when we heard that the cow's could kill all our fish....if they get stressed so stayed away from them...we are still fairly new.....and then we read that they aren't so bad and actually require a nice sedate tank with calm buddies...makes it more tempting...oooh they are just so cute! Thanks everyone for the links! I appreciate the info that you all give!

Chaloupa
06-24-2005, 05:32 AM
Oh yah, NICE tank too! Looks large! Appreciate the pics!