PDA

View Full Version : drilled overflow

outtafocus
06-22-2005, 10:34 PM
I just spoke to bowvalley/interamerican about getting my 25gal cube drilled and having an overflow box installed.

I bought this tank from Sean and he bought it from bowvalley.
They will drill the hole and install a tinted overflow box for $75. What do you think of this price? Considering that I paid only $100 bucks for the tank a heater and ac500 its high. But when compared to the option of having to buy a hang on overflow siphon box at over a $100 and then the additional cost of water damage from this stupid thing loosing siphon, I believe the drilled option sounds alot better.

What do you think???????
Now I need to speak to Bear27 about the design of a sump.

Invigor
06-23-2005, 03:35 AM
jeez I was hoping to get my 105 drilled and overflowed for about that price, lol

takphan
06-23-2005, 04:48 AM
check with Gold
2 years ago, Dennis did one for me for $50.
it is not the material but rather the labour/time is that much expensive.

G/L

Tak

PS. how about DIY?

AndyL
06-23-2005, 05:09 AM
Why not do a notched overflow like chad (fish) had done on his 20s? Very simple design, pretty easy to DIY.

Andy

outtafocus
06-23-2005, 11:41 PM
I dont know this overflow system you are speaking of. Can you give me some more info? Any links? Thanks

outtafocus
06-25-2005, 05:44 AM
I could probably save some money and build the overflow my self. But then again, if they already have the tank to drill I might as well have them build the overflow.

Does any one know if Bowvalley has bulk heads?
What do you recomend for a bulkhead size for a 25gal?

bear27
06-25-2005, 04:52 PM
Yes bowvalley has bulkheads and as for the size I belive you always want to go bigger than you think you need just in case

takphan
06-25-2005, 05:37 PM
I dont know this overflow system you are speaking of. Can you give me some more info? Any links? Thanks

try these links
external overflow
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=271539

how to drill with a dremel
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=445481
and
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=550086

IME, it took about ~10min to drill each 1" bulkhead hole
use slow speed and go slow

bow valley selling bulkheads for $7.50 ~ $10.00 each.
get the slip-on, it is easier to plumb than the threaded

G/L

Tak

Tarolisol
06-25-2005, 06:28 PM
There are a few people on here who can drill a whole for you, delphinus drilled one for me for 10 bucks. And glass for the overflow would be like 20 bucks at a glass store.

outtafocus
06-25-2005, 09:10 PM
Seeing as bowvalley built this tank, I'd rather go there. If anyone else drills it and cracks the glass, I am out of luck. If bowvalley drills it and cracks the glass, they will have to fix it.

AndyL
06-25-2005, 11:06 PM
Seeing as bowvalley built this tank, I'd rather go there. If anyone else drills it and cracks the glass, I am out of luck. If bowvalley drills it and cracks the glass, they will have to fix it.

Just keep telling yourself that!

When I asked them to drill I heard quite the different story - unless you order it with the tank...

Andy

outtafocus
06-25-2005, 11:28 PM
I guess they can't gaurantee something that has been out of their shop and has been used.
Maybe I should start asking some members to drill it. That way I can save some money for some new frags.

Any one ever drilled 1/2" glass? Or I could drill the back panel which is 1/4"