PDA

View Full Version : BIG Thanks!

Silverfish
11-19-2001, 10:11 PM
I just wanted to say thanks to Jamie and Taryn for hosting the meeting on Sunday, you have a fantasic reef tank! I also want to thank Troy for picking Adam and I up, and to Shane and Tanja for giving us a ride home. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
It was really cool to meet everyone, and to put faces to the names I have seen on the boards. I liked to be in a room full of reefers to, that was great!
BTW, all the frags are doing great, all have opened up and lookin' good.
Oh, and I bought a royal gramma at J&L, so I will actually have fish in my reef! images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Thanks again to everyone for a great experience, Bruce

[ 19 November 2001: Message edited by: Silverfish ]

canadawest
11-20-2001, 02:04 AM
Bruce, now you're going to have to change your nickname to purpleandyellowfish! images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Was great to meet you too, hope to see you over again for the next meeting.

Silverfish
11-20-2001, 08:24 AM
images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Thanks Andrew,
I don't know about changing my name tho,
silver hair = Silverfish images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Acro
11-20-2001, 09:37 AM
hey bruce I'm glad the frags are doing well hope you get some good growth and color out of them.I was very happy about the turn out and wish I had more time to talk with everyone. The ph thing got me sort of preocuppied and then the fan thing thank god for gfci's or you all would have seen me fry which I geuss would have been cool too, but for those with out one let that be an example of why you need them.

reefburnaby
11-20-2001, 10:11 AM
Hello,

Just a friendly reminder, GFCIs requires a grounded tank or devices with 3 prongs to work effectively....

GFCI - Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter = trips whens there is a short to ground.

A cheap DIY grounding probe can be built from Titantium bike spokes.

- Victor.

Gordoe
11-20-2001, 06:04 PM
GFCI devices look at the current flowing through the line side of the circuit and compares it to the neutral. If the device sees a difference of 8mA or more then it will trip. It doesn't use the ground as a reference. NOTE!!! testing your GFCI regularily (common for reefers, OOPS:eek images/smiles/icon_smile.gif is just as important as having them. I've seen them draw as much as 17A before the circuit breaker tripped. The GFCI did not trip!!!

Spend the extra money on the breaker for your panel. IMO

reefburnaby
11-21-2001, 01:39 AM
Hello,

Yes it only senses the difference between neutral and line. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The question is, if there is no ground...where does the 8mA or more differential current go ?

I guess the point is that you need a ground somewhere in the system or appliance for the GFCI to work.

- Victor.

[ 20 November 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]