PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning calcium build up

lukep77
06-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Hey I was wondering if any one has any tips on cleaning, calcium build up off of a glass tank.

I know it would take a lot of scrubbing, and lots of elbow grease.
But is the a product that I could put on there to disolve the calcuim.
I was thinking CLR, but I think that would be too harsh, and not a good idea on the inside of the tank.
I have heard that vinager would work, but to be carefull on the glass.

So any hints sugestions are all wewlcome,

Thanks L

Gools
06-20-2005, 12:05 PM
I have used pure vinegar, but you can also dilute it in water.

IslandReefer
06-20-2005, 12:11 PM
The makers of CLR tout that their cleaner (reducer) is make from "natural products" and is food safe after a rinse....whatever that means. I often wondered about fish tanks though, because the stuff works like a hot damn, but I'm no guinee pig (read chicken :smile: )
.....I too use white vinager and elbow grease.
......If you let the coraline dry and turn white it comes off "easier" :razz:
Good luck

lukep77
06-20-2005, 02:48 PM
looks like viniger it is. I dont realy want to risk CLR, and I dont belive the bit about the all natural products in it. I dont think I would feel comfertable drinking out of a coffee pot after it had that in it.

Thanks L

Willow
06-20-2005, 03:49 PM
i like to use razor blades.

Murminator
06-20-2005, 05:04 PM
I found the best way to remove calcium or salt creep is the wife does a wonderful job cleans it up perfectly :eek: :razz:

Chad
06-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Muratic (sp) acid is very good. I use it. In fact I bought a bottle yesterday to clean my PH's. Find it at Canadian Tire in the paint department. Just dilute it into some water and keep the mixture and just dunk your PH's or whatever into it when you need too.

IluvHockey
06-20-2005, 07:58 PM
Muratic acid is acutally another name for HYDROCHLORIC ACID or HCL. So if you are using this you will get H ions which will form hydroxide which is good for your akalinity. But you will also get CL ion which is the bad part. Similar to using calcium chloride to boast your calcium.

So stuff like this happens:

HCl ==> H(+) + Cl(-)

H(+) + H2O ==> H3O(+)

CaCO3 + 2 HCl ==> CaCl2 + H2O + CO2

Chad
06-20-2005, 11:32 PM
or you could clean it very carefully and make sure you rinse and soak your items in fresh H2O well after being dipped in the Muratic Acid.

rusty
06-21-2005, 01:04 AM
I found the best way to remove calcium or salt creep is the wife does a wonderful job cleans it up perfectly :eek: :razz:
:lol: :lol: Its funny cause its true :razz: :lol:

lukep77
06-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Muratic Acid, Would this stuff be good on glass. I plan on taking the tank apart and cleaning it. I figure that what ever I use will be hard on the silicone. So I figure strip it all down and clean and then re silicone.