PDA

View Full Version : serpent stars

mpishi
06-19-2005, 08:22 PM
i've had two serpent stars (black) in a 75 gallon reef for about three years ago
didn't realize what monsters they grow into
about a month ago i noticed several dozen small serpent stars all over the tank
i've had them as hitch hikers before but i haven't added new rock in about a year
any similar experiences out there?
my gut also tells me they will be cannabalistic given a chance - is that right

hockey nut
06-20-2005, 07:21 AM
How big are they now?

From what I have read only the green brittle stars will actually hunt fish and can get to 20 inches. If they haven't caused any damage to this point you might be fine.

Most are opportunistic feeders so if you had a slow sick fish for example, consider it lunch. Other than that they are very good scavengers and should be ok.

I have 3 or 4 baby black and white brittle stars living in a veggie clip of all places. I hand feed them once and awhile just to keep them happy. Why they are in that clip is beyond me. Started with one and now there is at least three.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-20-2005, 07:39 AM
I also have several hitchhiker brittle stars, some white, some white&black. So far, the largest I've seen one is about 2-3" arms sticking out of a crack. I'll leave them until I have evidence that they're up to no good. Adds to the bio-diversity.

Anthony

IslandReefer
06-20-2005, 09:35 AM
I also have the striped, tiny (0.5 to 1 inch) serpent stars (as hitchikers with some Calgary frags0. I have not see or heard of them doing anything bad , like fish eating (too small)....I kinda like their wavy arms and Foxface likes calimari when I stir one up :rolleyes: go figure...he'll eat anything.

Snappy
06-21-2005, 05:25 AM
Are you talking about brittle stars or actual serpent stars? I have both and are good janitors.
The brittle stars will multiply from a leg pulled off another, so you can more or less clone them.

danny zubot
06-21-2005, 02:35 PM
I have both too, they seem to have had a growth spurt since I took the fish out and put them in quaranteen. The brittles are always on the glass, and the serpents live in the rocks.