PDA

View Full Version : plate coral being eaten?

Snappy
06-17-2005, 04:20 PM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1481plate_from_Jon_CanMan_.jpg
This was like this 2 days ago, yesterday morning I noticed it was down to the skeleton on about 1/5 of the piece on one side, now it is at about 1/4 gone. It hasn't been touching other corals and there has been no changes in the tank other than adding a frag of devils hand with is located about 3 feet away from the plate. Is it starting to die or has something discovered a new delicacy for snackin'. Anyone have any idea what eats these?

danny zubot
06-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Greg, have you ever noticed the clowns nipping at it? I've seen clowns take chunks out of dying anemones before, kind of as a mercy thing. Other than that it could be many differnt things, because you have so many types of critters in there.

BMW Rider
06-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Is the clown trying to host in it? Perhaps it's just not happy with the attention.

Snappy
06-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Actually the clown pays little attention to it. In that pic it just swam by when I took the shot

danny zubot
06-17-2005, 07:16 PM
What about your frogspawn? I've notcied little bits of mine floating around from time to time. Wherever they land usually gets burned. BTW, I have your shroom already to go!

Snappy
06-17-2005, 07:32 PM
It would have to be a big piece to do that kind of damage, but now that I think about it, I had moved the plate out of heavy flow within a few inches of a pink finger leather so perhaps it did the damage somehow. I have now moved it back where it used to be beside the rice bubble. Strangely enough they aways seemed to get along.
Danny you have pm

Snappy
06-18-2005, 07:43 AM
Well I doubt that was the problem as I moved it and it still is desintigrading and is down to 1/2 the flesh gone. :confused: :cry:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-18-2005, 08:43 AM
Unfortunately, I've found that once a plate starts to go, it's usually too late. Sorry.

JME,

Anthony

Snappy
06-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Yep, you're right about that. Nothing but a skeleton today. Sure went quik.